When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #11  
Me too.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #12  
Consider this. How far - road conditions. I would suggest a heavy quilt backed with bubble wrap. In all the many years - up/down - the Alcan. Only one time did I get a cracked window. Headlights - if not protected by a single large bubble - a lost cause.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #13  
I'm involved in hauling a cab tractor 1000 miles over interstate roads. What are the chances a rock will pick up and break a window?
It happened to me. December 2020 was having a 5115m trucked from C&B JD dealer in Selby SD to my farm near Elk Rapids MI. I bought a new window from local JD dealer and replaced myself, quite a job. Trucking company reimbursed me. According to the JD salesman the trucking company should of cardboarded the window.

Attachments

• BFDC5CC5-AE43-4E4A-B704-29ADD581DAF0.jpeg
    BFDC5CC5-AE43-4E4A-B704-29ADD581DAF0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 1BFCCD2E-4C49-4747-8164-E4742873C568.jpeg
    1BFCCD2E-4C49-4747-8164-E4742873C568.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • C25483BD-4F83-4237-B707-279F36040519.jpeg
    C25483BD-4F83-4237-B707-279F36040519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
   / When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #14  
First off, I'm surprised Selby has a dealership of any sort. I grew up in SD and even for there, Selby is small (<1000 people).

I think your odds of breaking or damaging glass are a bit higher than the same happening to your tow vehicle. Most (all?) road vehicles have sloped glass that deflects rocks. A towed tractor will tend to be more flat and absorb the damage.

About a year ago we were making our regular trip 150 miles through (oddly enough) Rockwall on I30 across the lake. (3-4 lanes of ~75mph traffic). A truck about 100 yds ahead of us shed a bunch of rock and debris and we helplessly had to watch a golf ball sized rock hit the edge of our windshield. 2 minutes later it had spread all across the glass.

When we lived up north where you get sand, gravel and rocks on the road due to winter conditions, the odds of rock damage is greater (in our experience and apparently insurance too as premiums for comprehensive were much higher).

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #15  
Go to walmart, get some bubble wrap and packing saran wrap. Back up tractor to trailer and pack a few layers 360 degrees around. Should cover almost 100% chance of a rock doing anything.

That's what I'd do. My glass cab Ranger is specific to trailer it backward, I presume for this reason.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #16  
Given the cost and time it would take to bubble wrap versus the time and cost to replace the glass, looks like wrapping would be a smart idea. There is a lot of flat surface area on a tractor cab which makes it a bigger target than a sloped car windshield.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #17  
I'm involved in hauling a cab tractor 1000 miles over interstate roads. What are the chances a rock will pick up and break a window?
Probably just slightly less than the tractor mirrors being ripped off. ;)

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #18  
My friend and I had our own little routine when we would help each other out and some nearly impossible event would occur like once we hit a tiny phone line with a nail, and would ask each other "What are the ODDS of THAT happening?" The response was always "ONE!" as it always seemed like no matter what it was going to happen.

Or as I also like to say: There is a 50/50 shot that it will 100% happen.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #19  
I do not believe that I have seen any windows covered or protected on new machines being hauled down the highway from dealers or from assembly plants. Part of the decision may depend on what type of glass is in that tractor. What types of roads will be traveling over, etc. Is it tempered or something untempered that is more prone to breaking?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #20  
I haul my cabbed tractors to job sites almost every day. I have had 2 windows broken on my Kubota tractors. It cost me about $600 each to replace them, plus several days down time. And, it happened about 2 weeks apart.

I now have a custom made windshield protector that I put on EVERY time I haul, no matter how far. There is a place that makes them to fit your specific tractor. If I remember correctly, they cost me about $250 each. I have 2, and I bought them several years ago.

These are attached with 4 bunge straps. I have not had one break since I started using them.

I told one of my employees yesterday that I am the only one I know that puts a windshield protector on every time we haul.