When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm involved in hauling a cab tractor 1000 miles over interstate roads. What are the chances a rock will pick up and break a window?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #2  
One of my friends hit a low hanging limb and broke a window in his excavator while hauling it and I tore a light off mine the same way but I’ve never broken a window with a rock hauling it. If I was going a thousand miles I’d probably still take the effort to cover it since windows are expensive.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #3  
One of my friends hit a low hanging limb and broke a window in his excavator while hauling it and I tore a light off mine the same way but I’ve never broken a window with a rock hauling it. If I was going a thousand miles I’d probably still take the effort to cover it since windows are expensive.
If they wanted me to haul a tractor 1000 miles, I'd advise to just buy one there.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window?
What would you cover windows with since it would likely blow off? We've thought about cardboard pieces slightly smaller than the windows and using duck tape to hold it on. How about that?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #5  
Before you asked the question the chances were pretty low for any issues. Now it is almost certain it will happen if you do not take precautions. At least that is how things usually go for me. :ROFLMAO:

I think bubble wrap taped really good would probably work. Just make sure it can not flap in the wind and air can’t get underneath it. May have to re-tape along the way but that stuff is pretty durable.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #6  
Go to walmart, get some bubble wrap and packing saran wrap. Back up tractor to trailer and pack a few layers 360 degrees around. Should cover almost 100% chance of a rock doing anything.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #7  
What would you cover windows with since it would likely blow off? We've thought about cardboard pieces slightly smaller than the windows and using duck tape to hold it on. How about that?

I’d be afraid of the cardboard vibrating and scratching the window.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #8  
Around here most excavators get the front window covered during transport. Most have a quilted blanket that just snaps on.

My buddy bought a tractor 1000 km's away. 600 miles. Of course the window was broken when it arrived. So had the local dealer come and remove hood and all the trim etc. Glass shop came to install the $1000 window. They cracked it installing it so wait another 2 weeks for a new window. In the end the trucking company ended up with a $4500 bill just because the trucker was too lazy to install protection.

I would cut bubble wrap into 4" wide strips and tape them to the window if your worried about abrasion on the window. Then I would tightly tape another layer of bubble wrap over that. Cardboard over that if it doesn't rain would be ok. Just make sure it's well taped on. Tuck tape (for house wrap) works really well. It just doesn't come off very easy. Still cheaper than a new window though.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #9