What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #1  

Hysyde

Gold Member
Eastern Ontario, Canada (South of Ottawa)
As I buy my 2 stroke oil in "bulk" (relatively speaking, as I buy it in 1 quart containers) and need to measure it out to mix with gas, I'm trying, with not a lot of luck, to find the ideal tool to suit my needs.

Typically I mix my 2 stroke fuel in 5 liter (approx. 1.3 gal) jugs as I find this the ideal deal size for lugging around with the chainsaw, etc. and also for not having it go stale over periods of low use. I may mix a few at a time if I'm expecting to use a lot between the chainsaws, backpack blowers, various Stihl Kombi powerhead attachments, etc.. Invariably, I stick with 50:1 and have had little to no fuel related problems over the years of fairly heavy duty use in a wide range of temperature extremes. I do the occasional 40:1 mix for one the the kids small dirt bikes. I've tried a few types of high end synthetics over the years and right now I've been sticking with Amsoil Sabre.

Years ago I use to buy the small bottles sized perfectly for my gas can (Stihl or Husky) but figured it wasn't that cost effective and don't believe the OEM oils are all that great anyway. I bought them the few times I bought a new Stihl tool for the warranty extension they offered for doing so. Full synthetic OEM oil doesn't seem that easy to come by in that format locally, if they even offer it (Don't think Husky has a full synthetic?). I don't see a time where I'll ever make the switch to pre-mixed fuel, although the ethanol mandates here in Canada may make that a consideration in the future.

For the last few years, I've been re-using a Motul motocross oil container that has a built-in measurer, but that's less than ideal.

I'm looking for something that is precise, suitable for smaller quantities (i.e. 5 liters) and has graduations for liters, ideally even ones. Many of the bottles etc. that I've found are geared more to gallons or quarts so the liter graduations are not even, and I'm trying to avoid math during the process. I also want something that is purpose built, and not just a generic measuring device. I don't consider myself a lazy person, just looking for an efficient and fool-proof solution that will avoid any mistakes.

I see plenty of this type out there, but they're oversized for my application and don't have even liter markings.

1688694513898.png

I thought something like this would be good, but it's actually a bit small, as it is meant to measure out for a liter/quart at a time.

1688694651109.png

Somebody must make the ultimate tool for my application? I'm not coming up with much on Google that fits all my criteria.

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #3  
I just cheaped out and cut an old 1 qt oil bottle up. Use the bottom half (with markings every 2 oz) as a measuring cup, top half as a funnel to pour it into the jug I use to store the mix. Certainly not exact measurements, but close enough=good enough.

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #4  
About 2 years ago I quit using the pre mix oil and switched to Tru-Fuel 50-1 or Echo Red Armor 50-1. While a bit more expensive that weasel pee (ethanol pump gas) in all my 2 stroke engines. Non ethanol is hard to come by here (called Rec Gas here) and is super expensive.

The synthetic fuels have lots of advantages, the most important one is shelf life and secondly, they won't gum up carbs and harden fuel lines. Buy gallon containers of it. Shelf life is at least 5 years and that includes in the gas tanks on my equipment so I no longer have to drain out old gas and run them dry when not in use. I just top off the fuel tanks and all is good.

Other than cost, I see no disadvantages to it unless you are using large amounts, which I don't. I use maybe 3 gallons a year for everything.

I do know my chainsaws seem to run better on it and I don't get the carbon buildup on the spark arrestor screen or in the exhaust port like I used to get with bulk (in gallons) pre mix oil.

The other nice thing about the canned fuel is, the mix ratio (fuel to 2 stroke oil) is exact and constant

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #5  
I use a measure cup like this > Ratio-Rite 2-Cycle Oil Mixing Flask for my Redline 2 stroke oil
After I pour the oil into the can I pour some gas in the cup, swirl, and pour that into the can to get all of the oil into the mix

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-07 053804.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-07 053804.png
    324.8 KB · Views: 71
   / What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #7  
In my case (especially with my chainsaws), mix ratio is important and I want a very consistent mix because every saw I own, I've 'breathed' on so proper lubrication at all times is paramount.

Inconsistent lubrication from too little oil is the leading cause of piston failure and bore scoring in a chainsaw.

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #8  
That would be good if they had a cap on them.
Completely agree.
Don't know why it took so long to invent the "capped ends" funnel, which are mandatory.
Wish I could find what the OP is looking for also and see-thru oil measuring capped containers for filling gear boxes or whatever.
Never was a believer in the oily rag over the open top oil funnel can.

/ What's Your Favourite 2 Stroke Oil Mix Tool #9  
I use a tablespoon. I printed out a chart on how many tablespoons to an ounce. Some of the oils come in a bottle with a measuring cup on the side you can squeeze the oil into.