What's wrong with Canadians?

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #241  
1650725058917.png

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #242  
No, she is/was right . . . commercial meats are not hung long enough.
Most of the meat you can buy now, is Pressure Bag Cured, look for the PBC on the label.

Pressure bag curing is vacuum sealing and then running the pressure up and down. Supposedly, that breaks up the fiber, as much as several weeks of air curing.

yea right. it isn’t as tender, but it retains a lot more water. Ever notice that you can’t sear meat anymore? The bag curing is why.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #243  
Most of the meat you can buy now, is Pressure Bag Cured, look for the PBC on the label.

Pressure bag curing is vacuum sealing and then running the pressure up and down. Supposedly, that breaks up the fiber, as much as several weeks of air curing.

yea right. it isn’t as tender, but it retains a lot more water. Ever notice that you can’t sear meat anymore? The bag curing is why.
I have been raising our own beef for over 50 years . . . ;)

on edit: we (my family) raised beef too so you can add another 20 or so years.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #244  
I worked for a chicken company for 24 years. The brand name was “Young & Tender”. The men’s softball team’s shirts said “Young & Tender - You can’t buy a better piece”. They weren’t allowed to wear them at work. :LOL:

Water retention in the meat is a good thing for the packer, but USDA has limits on how much you can get away with. IIRC is was 4% for chicken. Ever notice the diaper in the bottom of a tray of meat? There are ways.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #245  
I worked for a chicken company for 24 years. The brand name was “Young & Tender”. The men’s softball team’s shirts said “Young & Tender - You can’t buy a better piece”. They weren’t allowed to wear them at work. :LOL:

Water retention in the meat is a good thing for the packer, but USDA has limits on how much you can get away with. IIRC is was 4% for chicken. Ever notice the diaper in the bottom of a tray of meat? There are ways.
One thing people notice when they eat one of the turkeys I've raised... they cook up a lot faster. I find that commercially grown turkey is salty, probably because I don't eat it very often.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #246  
One thing people notice when they eat one of the turkeys I've raised... they cook up a lot faster. I find that commercially grown turkey is salty, probably because I don't eat it very often.
Yep. Turkey from the grocery store is injected with a lot of salt water. Of course if you brine your fresh ones you're right back in the same boat.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #247  
Yep. Turkey from the grocery store is injected with a lot of salt water. Of course if you brine your fresh ones you're right back in the same boat.
I don't, it kind of defeats the purpose of raising them. I certainly don't do it to save money... :D

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #248  
Crap here the U P of Michigan I had to walk to and from school 5 miles, uphill both ways with the wind in my face all the way!

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #249  
Crap here the U P of Michigan I had to walk to and from school 5 miles, uphill both ways with the wind in my face all the way!
You left out the blizzard on opening and last day... ;)