What's wrong with Canadians?

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #231  
What I said was if a customer orders a steak well done, the chef will pick out the worst steak in his inventory of steaks because the longer it is cooked.
They use the oldest steak that will ruin sooner than any other if not sold, for the "well done" customer.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #232  
A coworker used to ask for the oldest ribeyes available at the grocery store. Aged or as he would say, “let’em rot a little “. No thanks.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #233  
A coworker used to ask for the oldest ribeyes available at the grocery store. Aged or as he would say, “let’em rot a little “. No thanks.
No, she is/was right . . . commercial meats are not hung long enough.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #234  
Fine local restaurant I worked at as a Pantry Chef when I was 15-16 years old had what looked like a large shower stall in the basement. It had a tile floor, ceiling, walls & floor drain. We hung sides of beef from a huge stainless steel chain & hook in there for a long time. Cant remember what it was wrapped in. :unsure:
We made prime rib, Beef Wellington, “odd couple” (surf & turf) and a few other excellent meat dishes.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #235  
Yes, back in the good ole days, when you processed your meat, it would hang for awhile before using it. Keep the flies off and dry it a bit so the surface isn't damp and it would keep for some time in the cool weather.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #236  
Back when it stayed cold all winter I'd see guys with a deer hanging in their garage all winter. I guess they'd go cut a chunk off as needed. I'm not sure how, they must have used a meat saw.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #237  
Back when it stayed cold all winter I'd see guys with a deer hanging in their garage all winter. I guess they'd go cut a chunk off as needed. I'm not sure how, they must have used a meat saw.
Our meat saw was a hacksaw with a new/clean blade. That was 50+ years ago.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #238  
Hanging meat and letting it rot are two different things. Meat needs a minimum of 10 days at 39 degrees F. to let the rigor mortis go out of the meat and the enzymes tenderize it. Bacteria do not grow at that temperature. It's fairly common to hang meat for 21 days, which lets the meat dry. Packing houses don't like to do that, because it cuts the water weight they can charge you for, and uses up a lot of cooler space that costs money. I have a local premium meat shop that sells meat done right, but you need some disposable income to eat much of it.

/ What's wrong with Canadians? #240  
Are we forming a hypothesis that "What's wrong with Canadians" is that they don't let their beef hang long enough? I had to be careful with my wording on THAT one. :D