What's going on at Amazon?

/ What's going on at Amazon? #121  
I noticed a new thing on Amazon during my last purchase a couple days ago.

They were offering $5 off of next purchase, if I was willing to accept shipping as a 'non-rush'. It gave me the option at checkout in the place where you choose which shipping speed you desire. I was ordering 3 things, and it 'showed' it as available on each, but given I need the items, I simply chose the 3day shipping.

Perhaps I will try it next time and see what happens. It showed my order would have been delivered in 5 days.

This is an example... highlighted stuff is 'new' to me. And the second is what they say about it.

amazon.PNG Capture.PNG

/ What's going on at Amazon? #122  
I noticed a new thing on Amazon during my last purchase a couple days ago.

They were offering $5 off of next purchase, if I was willing to accept shipping as a 'non-rush'. It gave me the option at checkout in the place where you choose which shipping speed you desire. I was ordering 3 things, and it 'showed' it as available on each, but given I need the items, I simply chose the 3day shipping.

Perhaps I will try it next time and see what happens. It showed my order would have been delivered in 5 days.

This is an example... highlighted stuff is 'new' to me. And the second is what they say about it.

View attachment 504923 View attachment 504926

If you have prime and accept three day delivery they give you credits you can use for music and other "electronic" downloads. Can't recall if it includes ebooks or audible.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #123  
If you have prime and accept three day delivery they give you credits you can use for music and other "electronic" downloads. Can't recall if it includes ebooks or audible.

Hmmmm.... that is interesting. I purchase 50 or so Audible books a year. That could cut a big piece out of my Book costs...

/ What's going on at Amazon? #124  
I have moved most of my online business to ebay and I do sometimes buy from china sources. It's often when I can't find a comparable item at all or the same item is 7 or 8 times more expensive in the states.

My only beef here is the misrepresentation that the battery I ordered would be delivered by the 7th and did not list a country of origin. I don't see how that's possible if it shipped from china on the 4th but the order still says the 7th and tracking says it's on time. I will believe it when I see it but have been bitten by amazon on this before.

I don't buy enough of anything online to pay a tariff for free shipping or to get their meager choice of streaming video. Many people use the prime services and like them but it doesn't work for me.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #125  
Hmmmm.... that is interesting. I purchase 50 or so Audible books a year. That could cut a big piece out of my Book costs...

Do you subscribe to Audible? That is certainly one way to cut the cost when you are a big volume user.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #126  
I have moved most of my online business to ebay and I do sometimes buy from china sources. It's often when I can't find a comparable item at all or the same item is 7 or 8 times more expensive in the states.

My only beef here is the misrepresentation that the battery I ordered would be delivered by the 7th and did not list a country of origin. I don't see how that's possible if it shipped from china on the 4th but the order still says the 7th and tracking says it's on time. I will believe it when I see it but have been bitten by amazon on this before.

I don't buy enough of anything online to pay a tariff for free shipping or to get their meager choice of streaming video. Many people use the prime services and like them but it doesn't work for me.

I also buy both from ebay and cheapo websites like gearbest, wish etc which are almost entirely "ship from China" sites. I only buy little stuff though. Too many customer service hassles that are difficult to fix and not nearly up to Amazon standards.

I find Amazon Prime to easily pay for itself with shipping and other discounts. I have their credit card which gives me a 5% rebate on stuff purchased from Amazon too. That adds up! And, I know their video streaming service is not Netflicks but I am so far behind in watching movies or television shows that their offerings are plenty for me. Just getting to Downton Abbey.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #127  
I haven't been to mall for 15 years, except for sears with outside entrance.

I go to fleet farm alot.

Sears is almost gone!
Better hurry if you plan to go again.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #128  
Do you subscribe to Audible? That is certainly one way to cut the cost when you are a big volume user.

Subscribe...??? I have an 'account' and pay an upfront fee for 24 books. This is supposed to essentially 'last for a year'. I reup it at least twice a year.

Is this what you are talking about? Or is there 'hopefully' something else.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #129  

Good to know. I just got my own a few weeks ago, was using girl friends. Now she doesn't know what I am buying. But no filter now.

I think Amazon is great. I do worry that someday they will be so big they don't care anymore.

As far as buying stufff directly from China, I don't even like doing it from stores in US. Obviusly I do a bit, but I check the label. Atleast the US store and emplyoyees are getting some of the money. China is a bad country, and it is not in our interest to support them.

/ What's going on at Amazon? #130  
Bloomberg News attributed some of this to Amazon. Just something to consider.

The battered American retail industry took a few more lumps this week, with stores at both ends of the price spectrum preparing to close their doors.
At the bottom, the seemingly ubiquitous Payless Inc. shoe chain filed for bankruptcy and announced plans to shutter hundreds of locations.
Ralph Lauren Corp., meanwhile, said it will close its flagship Fifth Avenue Polo store -- a symbol of old-fashioned luxury that no longer resonates with today’s shoppers. And the teen-apparel retailer Rue21 Inc. could be the next casualty. The chain, which has about 1,000 stores, is preparing to file for bankruptcy as soon as this month, according to people familiar with the situation.

Just a few years ago, it was sold to private equity firm Apax Partners for about a billion dollars. “It’s an industry that’s still in search for answers,” said Noel Hebert, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. “I don’t know how many malls can reinvent themselves.”