Ballast Whats everyone use in there ballast box ?

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #21  
Mine has 4 bags of sak-crete, which left just enough room for (8) 42 lb cast iron weights. Adds up to a little over 800 lbs, I think.

Nice job.
Did you build?

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #22  
"Nice job.
Did you build? "

Thanks.

No, it's just an off-the-shelf JD box and weights.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ?
JB4310 said:
Concrete and PVC
First couple of years I used removable medium but never needed to adjust the weight, only needed more, no regrets with the concrete.
4 pcs of 1.5 inch, 1 pc of 3 inch and 1 pc of 4 inch schd 40 pvc.

Only regret was using plastic pipe, even as the crete was curing I was thinking if one of the plastic pipes breaks, I'd be stuck with a much shorter hole, I would use HD steel next time.

I did not add a receiver to the box at the time, after giving it some thought I figured if I wanted to tow a trailer I wouldn't want all that extra weight. After giving it more thought I still don't think I would do much trailering with all that weight but just for other misc insert use it would be handy to have one.

IMO the bottom of the box is to low for the receiver, I'm thinking now of the top, which is probably a bit high for trailer hitch, without a drop, but the right height for other uses.

JB.

JB4310,

Did you sand and paint the PVC pipe once the concrete dried or before you poured. How did you get the paint to stick to the concrete? Any prep work? I really like your setup. I like the 1 1/2 inch pipes for rakes and shovels. Also If I added 1 larger 4 or 5 inch diameter piece of PVC I could drop a length of chain down inside it and cover it with a rubber pipe cap. It would be nice to have chain available and out of the weather when needed.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #24  
JB4310,

Did you sand and paint the PVC pipe once the concrete dried or before you poured. How did you get the paint to stick to the concrete? Any prep work? I really like your setup. I like the 1 1/2 inch pipes for rakes and shovels. Also If I added 1 larger 4 or 5 inch diameter piece of PVC I could drop a length of chain down inside it and cover it with a rubber pipe cap. It would be nice to have chain available and out of the weather when needed.

Just painted it all after it was finished, nothing special. I keep chain in the 4 inch pipe no problem, leave one hook on the top edge, to much pipe and you will reduce the weight.

These boxes are relatively narrow, no reason you couldn't install pipe on the outside or have storage boxes on the outsides.

JB.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #25  
I saw a used JD weight box at the JD dealer this winter. The guy had had 3/8" steel plates cut to fit. It was about half full. Looked really nice. Made a very neat job.

Chris

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #26  
if you didn't want to use concrete, you could put the pipe in, then fill around it with sand or gravel. maybe put in a little water to settle the fill.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #27  
if you didn't want to use concrete, you could put the pipe in, then fill around it with sand or gravel. maybe put in a little water to settle the fill.

I did that with mine for a couple of years before I filled it with concrete, just used 3/4 crushed stone, the pipe shifted a little but no big deal. the stone was not quite enough weight though. Concrete seems to be just right, I've never wished it was lighter or heavier since I put it in.

The more I think about it, steel pipe welded to the outside might even be better, could always remove them or replace them if they get damaged. leaves the whole inside available for ballast or empty.

For me I always need the ballast, when ever I try to use the tractor without the ballast it wants to lay down on it's side on me :eek:

JB.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #28  
I did that with mine for a couple of years before I filled it with concrete, just used 3/4 crushed stone, the pipe shifted a little but no big deal. the stone was not quite enough weight though. Concrete seems to be just right, I've never wished it was lighter or heavier since I put it in.

The more I think about it, steel pipe welded to the outside might even be better, could always remove them or replace them if they get damaged. leaves the whole inside available for ballast or empty.

For me I always need the ballast, when ever I try to use the tractor without the ballast it wants to lay down on it's side on me :eek:

JB.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with the newer tractors being lighter than the older ones. I've never needed ballast. Even when I carried the 1,500# 45KW generator down to the lower ranch in the front bucket.

Attachments

• Mar26_0003.jpg
    Mar26_0003.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 228
   / Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #29  
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the newer tractors being lighter than the older ones. I've never needed ballast. Even when I carried the 1,500# 45KW generator down to the lower ranch in the front bucket.

Good question, probably is the weight, but also the larger stance of your tractor compared to a smaller CUT, My loader can lift 1500 pounds, that's a decent amount of weight for a relatively small platform, the smaller footprint makes it easier to get unstable.

Talk about foot prints, I've seen your Sasquatch :) (your avatar)

JB.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #30  
Talk about foot prints, I've seen your Sasquatch :) (your avatar)

JB.

Yeah, she's a beast. I have the duels off right now as seen in the pic I posted. I'm going to need to get into some tight spaces soon to move some equipment. Sure mkes it easy getting in and out of the barn right now. Should go back on in June or July. The new barn will have a 12x12 door.