Ballast Whats everyone use in there ballast box ?

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #1  

RaisedonDeere

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 John Deere 2520
I was wondering what everyone has been putting in there ballast boxes for weight ?

1) Concrete
2) Sand
3) Rocks
4) Steel weights
5) Small Stone

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #2  
I was fortunate enough to get these before they went to scrap.
The ones I have are metric,at 44 lbs apiece. I have 12,and with a empty BB weight of 380 lbs,total is close to 1000 lbs.......980 actually.:)

What I really like about using these is the ability to vary my BB weight for what I am doing.:thumbsup:

Greg

Attachments

• WEIGHTS.jpg
    WEIGHTS.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 343
   / Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #3  
I have a 2520 with a ballast box, and so far I am using some patio edging stones that I had lying around. Works OK so far.

I think eventually I will load it with 3/4" gravel. For some reason, and I don't really know why, but I don't want to use anything I can't remove if need be. I know a lot of folks have filled theirs with concrete, but to me I don't think I want anything that permanent.

REV

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #6  
55 gallon barrel. Hmmm.......... you have me thinking.

I think I might still have 1 or 2 around and I have a concrete plant a few blocks down the street. Might be able to get it filled for free if I ask nicely and leave it for a few days.:)

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #7  
I put concrete and big stones in while dumping the concrete. I can't see ever using the box for anything other than weight. But you have to be committed.
Put at least 1 PVC pipe sticking out for a rake or shovel. I cut a square hole in the rear and put a receiver tube in before the concrete. I can at least pull trailers around with the weight on.
Make sure you know how much the stuff weighs so it doesn't get to heavy for your tractor. The weight adds up fast. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #8  
I put concrete and big stones in while dumping the concrete. I can't see ever using the box for anything other than weight. But you have to be committed.
Put at least 1 PVC pipe sticking out for a rake or shovel. I cut a square hole in the rear and put a receiver tube in before the concrete. I can at least pull trailers around with the weight on.
Make sure you know how much the stuff weighs so it doesn't get to heavy for your tractor. The weight adds up fast. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dang... I like the idea of a reveiver hitch on the bottom/rear of the box!! Yup, good idea.

AKfish

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #9  
I use sand for three reasons:
1) It was filled with sand when I bought it (used).
2) Relatively easy to adjust the weight
3) I can shovel out some sand in slippery conditions (less necessary now that I have chains).

I like the idea on the receiver hitch too, but do consider the reduction of tongue weight capacity when that far aft of the drawbar.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #10  
I filled mine with portland cement.