What would you do with this

/ What would you do with this #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
After a little cussing and a busted knuckle, I managed to get this thing loaded on my trailer. It was an impulse buy at a bargain price. My first intentions are to convert it to use aa a knuckelboom loader by removing the bucket and attaching a grapple. I am wanting something light enough to mount on the back of a ton dually flatbed that I can load firewood logs with. This backhoe is a A620 off a ditch witch trencher and weighs 2900lbs without the bucket.. It is all self contained and uses quick coupleings for hydraulic hook up. I also got the hyd pump off the machine, it is a double pump, 11.8gpm on the front pump and 9.9gpm on the back pump. This I had planed to just hook to a pto on the truck transmission. After buying I am having second thoughts on just how I want to use this backhoe attachment. So I ask you, if this type of attachment feel in your lap really cheap, what would you do with it.

Attachments

• 0405131813 (1).jpg
    0405131813 (1).jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 1,077
   / What would you do with this #2  
Lot's of possibilities, what do you have for other equipment?

/ What would you do with this #3  
I think it is going to be too heavy to put on a truck unless you have something like a 650 series or larger. I think I would try to build a sub-frame for it and mount it on a 60 HP or larger tractor if you have one. That thing is not made for a BX Kubota or a B, maybe a MX.

/ What would you do with this #4  
2900 lbs is going to be a lot on the back of a 1 ton truck. I think you could do a proper grapple that would weigh far less. I could be wrong though...lol
Maybe sell it and put the proceeds towards building a grapple arm.

/ What would you do with this #5  
If it was mine...I would put something like a reinforced jeep frame and drive train under it...PTO or independent engine for the pump... add front stabilizers...

/ What would you do with this
When I bought the hoe, we where guesstimating the weight at around 2000lbs. It wasnt until I googled it that I discovered it weighed much more than I thought. And of course I didnt have a tape measure handy to take any measurements with. The truck frame is wider than the bottom stabilizer pivot points so it would be hard to mount upon the frame and still be able to use the stablizers. That would leave mounting it behind the rear axle and I can see all kinds of problems with that method. Used A620 backhoe attachments are on ebay for $2800 and up. I might just list it and see what it brings. I can scrap it and get my money back. I really want to find a way to use it for a knuckel boom and might just rip it apart and use the parts to build something a lot lighter

/ What would you do with this #7  
Call me silly, but I think it would look pretty cool on the back of a tractor. :)

/ What would you do with this #8  
Here are a bunch of photos of trailer mounted loaders.
atv log loader plans, atv log loader plans Manufacturers in LuLuSoSo.com - page 1

One of the difference between a "loader" and a "backhoe" is that the backhoe is designed to reach below ground level. The loader, on the other hand, is usually mounted high. You could, of course redesign the mount. But, they also look long and slender, but I guess it also depends on how big of logs you are picking up.

I agree, however, if you are loading whole logs... that means probably you would have something you are using as a skidder...
I'd figure out a way to mount the loader to your skidder. Can you have the backhoe mounted, and still use the machine to move around logs?

How much firewood are you cutting? Is this for a business?

/ What would you do with this #9  
This thing will tear up the chassis of your truck. When mounting a Hiab crane to a big rig, you need a substantial subframe for even a light crane, because the moment (force x distance) cannot be transferred on a foot of frame rails, because they will just buckle in. Next to that, this backhoe style excavator probably swings only 180 degrees so very unpractical.

In the bodybuilders guidelines of the Mercedes Sprinter (Dodge Sprinter 3500) is written that when mounting a crane behind the cab, you must reinforce the chassis untill the front axle because the chassis isnt designed to be pushed off the ground with the outriggers: Normally the load is over the rear axle, giving 4000 pounds on the back and 1000 on the front axle. The front axle normally carries just the weight of the driveline and cab. When lifting the front axle off the ground with the outriggers, the full 4000 pounds of front axle weight puts a bending moment on the chassis, which isnt designed for it. We once put a 5 ton/meter crane on a Sprinter, and according to the bodybuilders instruction we put on a full length subframe of square tubing between the truck and the crane, made of 2.5x5" square tubes, with 1/4" wall thickness.

/ What would you do with this
Renze, I believe you about the truck frame. As for the 180degree swing, thats all I need. My intention when buying this thing, without thinking it all the way thru, was to mount it on the back of the truck I would be using to pull my soon to be built firewood processor. Pull the processor up to the log pile, unhook from the truck and back the truck in between the processor and the log pile so I could load firewood size logs onto the processor. I ran across this backhoe while looking for a cylinder for the processor, asked the guy what he would take for it, He said $300 so I bought it. Didnt do a lot of thinking on the subject, but couldnt pass the deal up. Of course its only a bargain if you can use it. I Knew i would have to reinforce the truck frame if I mounted that way. And I got the pump, Cessna double pump, 11.8gpm and 9.7gpm pump. I can use the control valve on the processor project. two of the cylinders are just big enought for building a small splitter, but I can also use them to make a log lift on the processor. The out riggers, with a little modification, I can use if I build a lighter knuckelboom. All told, with the parts I know i can use, even if I scrap the backhoe, I got my money's worth.

I dont even own a tractor anymore, so I dont have anything to mount the backhoe, as is, onto. No skidders or the like. I could build a towable backhoe like those little ones you see all the time. Just dont think I would use it enough to justify that build.