What would you do differently if you built a new shop

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #71  
So what's the current plan?

All that cheap surplus natural gas that comes from fracking, renewables (the cost curve keeps bending down), and Elon Musk. Perhaps some day nuclear fusion. I'm not trying to hijack this post - just responding to a poster who didn't want to get political - then got political. My point isn't meant to be political. I think market forces and technology are smothering coal more than anything else.

To bring it back to the original post, I don't think he should use coal in his new shop :)

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #72  
My buddy has an old coal forge in his shop. It's not practical but it's fun to play with.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #73  
My buddy has an old coal forge in his shop. It's not practical but it's fun to play with.

That is kind of cool. There are some old blacksmith tools that would be handy.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #74  
The coolest part is the hand cranked "turbo". My hat is off to whoever made the gearbox for it back than.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #75  
For my next shop, I have decided to build it in sections that I can build one at a time. It's broken down into four units. In the middle will be my hay barn. It will be tall with a massive door, or at least an opening that I might put a door on later on. Then off to the right I will have my workshop with two big doors in the front, and one big door in the back so I can pull right through it, or just let the air flow through. It will have a half bathroom too. Off to the left will be a parking area with doors on both sides so I can either pull through, or enter from either side. Finally off to the back, behind the hay barn, will be my livestock barn. If I ever do this, it will be massive. Doing it one section at a time should allow me to keep moving forward on it at a pace that I can pay for it with cash as I save it up. The final dimensions are not set in stone yet, but basically each section is in the 48x48 foot range. I'm still removing trees and moving dirt without any rush or time table to actually start. I have too many other priorities to finish first.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #76  
I have always wanted a bridge crane in the shop. I don't have any specific purpose for it, but it would be nice for moving things around. Also, I wanted palletized storage. There is so much wasted storage area in the taller shops that it would be nice to put heavy things that aren't used alot up out of the way!

A pop machine with beer and pop would be awesome. :drink: I always liked the old 4 button Pepsi machines! Hose reels for electric cords and air lines would be necessary. An exhaust fan of some type with ducting that could be directed would be awesome. I hate welding and having to rig a fan up to blow the smoke away. A sturdy wall mounted bench that has a SOLID vise on it. I always need to wrench on something in the vise and they never seem to be sturdy enough.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #77  
For my next shop, I have decided to build it in sections that I can build one at a time. It's broken down into four units. In the middle will be my hay barn. It will be tall with a massive door, or at least an opening that I might put a door on later on. Then off to the right I will have my workshop with two big doors in the front, and one big door in the back so I can pull right through it, or just let the air flow through. It will have a half bathroom too. Off to the left will be a parking area with doors on both sides so I can either pull through, or enter from either side. Finally off to the back, behind the hay barn, will be my livestock barn. If I ever do this, it will be massive. Doing it one section at a time should allow me to keep moving forward on it at a pace that I can pay for it with cash as I save it up. The final dimensions are not set in stone yet, but basically each section is in the 48x48 foot range. I'm still removing trees and moving dirt without any rush or time table to actually start. I have too many other priorities to finish first.

Well... that's certainly putting all your eggs in one basket. 1 stray welding spark...

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #78  
I like the idea of FEL implement storage on a pallet rack. Depending on the size of equipment, I think it is an excellent way to avoid the 'sprawl' of 3ft tall iron all over your equipment yard. Something along these lines. My things might be too big for the rack, but I suspect they make adequate racks to do the job I want. I think I would put it outside, under a covered overhang though. Nobody is pulling a 1000lb grapple off, and tossing it in their truck.

maxresdefault.jpg

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #79  
Well... that's certainly putting all your eggs in one basket. 1 stray welding spark...

I've been thinking about a sprinkler system too. Something that I can do myself. I buy my hay from out in the field and it's been sitting there for awhile, but when I have a place to store it, I'm wondering if I might be risking a hay fire at some point. Especially if I get it right after it's been bailed. Currently I weld in my garage, which means if there is a stray spark that sets it on fire, the house is gone. Either way, I need to pay attention at all times when welding.

/ What would you do differently if you built a new shop #80  
Without going all political about the current state in Indiana, you have to look at both sides of the picture.

The utilities are required to keep up their infrastructure. If you do net metering, you are forcing the utility to pay you to keep the wired connection working to your government subsidized power generation system. If everyone installs solar, wind, etc... on their houses, and charges the utilities, when does it no longer become the utility's responsibility to repair the grid connecting everything?

Similar thing is happening with more fuel efficient cars and trucks. Roads are payed for with gas tax. As more cars are on the road causing more wear and tear, yet using less fuel, there is LESS money to repair MORE damage. That's why the only fair way to tax people for road usage is mileage tax and toll roads, not fuel usage.

Anyhow, there's a lot more to it than just who's currently in charge.

Now lets keep the politics out of a pretty good going thread or it'll be moved to the politics forum... :thumbsup:

Said the Moderator who continued the political path. :D