What TV did you watch as a kid?

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #363  
1677630549882.png

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #364  
When I was a kid, we watched a Philco black and white TV with I think had a 14 inch screen. Good for Ed Sullivan, Sky King, Lassie and real not adulterated news like today. Mostly listened to the radio and mostly AM. Not many FM stations back then.

I find current TV geared for a 5 year old mentality so I don't watch it.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #365  
When I was a kid, we watched a Philco black and white TV with I think had a 14 inch screen. Good for Ed Sullivan, Sky King, Lassie and real not adulterated news like today. Mostly listened to the radio and mostly AM. Not many FM stations back then.

I find current TV geared for a 5 year old mentality so I don't watch it.

Early TV was blessed, in that there were a lot of experienced, professional stage performers who were having a hard time finding work. TV was a natural for them; old Vaudeville performers like Milton Berle, Red Skelton, etc. gave us the best programming one can imagine. We don't have anything like that today.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #367  
I watched a B&W Philco console with broken channel changing knob. We used a cheap screwdriver to get a bite on something inside then counted clicks until a picture appeared. Only had VHF.

Then we moved up to a 19" color "portable" Sears TV!

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #368  
Ain't that the truth. TV today is a joke and a very biased joke at that.
By and large I agree. There are some jewels.

current:
Blue Bloods
Ghosts
Young Sheldon

recent:
Phineas & Ferb
Longmire
Futurama

In 2006 Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather" was made into a 3 hour movie for a non-BBC British TV channel. Lots of fun but very deep into what it is to be human, what with Death substituting for Santa Claus and all.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #369  
There was a few (unauthorized...😂) network TV frequencies that we'd tune into using our military FM radios (the PRC 77s, 524s, 68s, 126s, then the SINCGARs) while we were on extended field maneuvers...

The one frequency I definately remember was 59.75. I vaguley remember 63.75..

The psycological bonus of hearing the outside world was a morale-boosting "no-no".

Edit: we made custom jungle antennas for TV and labeled them for each network.

Phil Donahue, $10k pyramid, Hollywood Squares, & Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts were some of the favs., but Johnny Carson..#1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302-072039.png
    Screenshot_20230302-072039.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
   / What TV did you watch as a kid? #370  
We used to watch, Beat the clock - TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES -CONCENTRATION