What to do with old chain link fencing?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #12  
If the cement cracked and started to move, wouldn't the concrete move more as the chain moved and not stay together?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #13  
Well - cut a chunk - put a header 2x4 across the top - attach a rope bridle to the 2x4 - makes a fine drag harrow. Lots of dust but does a fine job of breaking clods and final smoothing. That will use about six feet of the roll.
+1 If you know folks that maintain baseball fields - you could fix them right up.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #14  
If the cement cracked and started to move, wouldn't the concrete move more as the chain moved and not stay together?
If that's a concern youw can always wire in enough rebar to stabilize it. I had to use a little when I poured my slab to keep the mesh from sagging, otherwise it would have just laid on the ground under the concrete.
If he lived closer I would buy an 8 foot piece for a drag behind my 4-wheeler, to cover the seed as I plant my field.
I wouldn't burn galvanized fencing, it's a good way to get zinc poisoning.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #15  
Yes, I have used rolls of it to reinforce some concrete slabs I have poured. Saved me lots of money not having to buy the mesh.

That seems like a terrible idea unless you’re just pouring a sidewalk or something and don’t care about the cracking.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #16  
That seems like a terrible idea unless you’re just pouring a sidewalk or something and don’t care about the cracking.

Agreed! Mesh in concrete forms a good tensile layer. Chainlink fencing has no tensile strength until it is pulled tight which there is no way to stretch it and hold it that tight while the concrete is setting up. The bent links will pry the concrete apart quicker as it is stressed.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #17  
After many years, my solution was to roll it up real tight, tie tight with rope and set down by the road. It was gone in a day and is now someone else's problem. Maybe there's a better idea but I haven't found one.

If that doesn't work fast enough, put up a "For Sale" sign with a price listed when setting the roll by the road. It will be sure to disappear overnight.:)

Steve

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #18  
skipperbrown had a good idea. Local ham radio club should take that right off your hands. Good ground plane for all sorts of vertical antennas.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #19  
Actually the fencing will make decent reinforcing to concrete...maybe just not a lot of tensile strength...

Steel, glass and plastic fibers are quite common additives to add different strengths to concrete...

example: Official site of D & C Supply Co. Inc.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #20  
If that doesn't work fast enough, put up a "For Sale" sign with a price listed when setting the roll by the road. It will be sure to disappear overnight.:)

Steve

That's a study in human nature right there!!:D