What to do with old chain link fencing?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I've got an old roll of chain link fence that's been lying on the ground for the last 25 years. What else can you use this stuff for besides making a fence? Can I use it to stabilize some fill by burying sections and dirt in layers?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #2  
Well - cut a chunk - put a header 2x4 across the top - attach a rope bridle to the 2x4 - makes a fine drag harrow. Lots of dust but does a fine job of breaking clods and final smoothing. That will use about six feet of the roll.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #3  
Well - cut a chunk - put a header 2x4 across the top - attach a rope bridle to the 2x4 - makes a fine drag harrow. Lots of dust but does a fine job of breaking clods and final smoothing. That will use about six feet of the roll.

Make a bunch of them. Sell or give them away. :)

Bruce

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #4  
Maybe as you said, make a sort of box out of it and fill with stones like commercial rip rap. Not sure about chain link but around me, the scrap yards do not want wire fencing though some will accept it with no payout.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #5  
I don’t know or really care if it would help fill, but that’s what would do with it. Plan B would be burn it to accelerate rusting. There’s nowhere here that will take it. The recycling center won’t. The landfill won’t. The scrapyard won’t unless you have enough to fill a semi trailer.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #6  
The only thing I've ever heard is a drag harrow but it doesn't make that good of one. After many years, my solution was to roll it up real tight, tie tight with rope and set down by the road. It was gone in a day and is now someone else's problem. Maybe there's a better idea but I haven't found one.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #7  
You could cut smaller sections of it for tomato/bean trellises or protective cones for young tree plantings (anti-deer/critter).

Thinking of Christmas (yes, it's coming!), a framed section would support a design made out of 'rope lights'.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #8  
No - I agree sixdogs but a real good drag harrow can run $450 to $700. You and I can drag a lot of chain link fence for less than that.

I've tried making a gabion to use on my fence line out of chain link. That did not work well, at all.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #9  
Makes a fine drag for covering seed on food plots and the ham radio crowd likes them to make an electrical mat for vertical antennas. You could try advertising it in CL under radio equipment.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #10  
Anyone ever tried to reinforce concrete with it?