What to do or not to do :

/ What to do or not to do : #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I have been thinking of selling my 2 tractors an M5700 open station and B2650 with a cab. I can get both in my garage . I am thinking of another size tractor the size of the M5700 with a cab to replace the other two so I only have 1 tractor to maintain . I am 78 and need a cab up here in Maine for the winter months , my problem would be I couldn't get it under any shelter . Any of you keep your tractor outside all year in an area where you get lots of snow and use it for snow removal . I need a large tractor for the summer months for the different jobs I do .

/ What to do or not to do : #2  
Absolutely! I have a semi-large tractor with a cab that I cannot park in my garage. I also dont have any covered shelters for it (or anything of the implements) so it sits next to the garage, all year. This last winter, I made a video of snow removal using my tractor. It shows how I start it in cold weather and brushing the snow off while it warms up. Plowing Snow with the LS - YouTube

It's hard to let something so expensive simply sit outside. But, its a tractor. It can be outside.

/ What to do or not to do :
Absolutely! I have a semi-large tractor with a cab that I cannot park in my garage. I also dont have any covered shelters for it (or anything of the implements) so it sits next to the garage, all year. This last winter, I made a video of snow removal using my tractor. It shows how I start it in cold weather and brushing the snow off while it warms up. Plowing Snow with the LS - YouTube

It's hard to let something so expensive simply sit outside. But, its a tractor. It can be outside.

Avenger , one of my concerns is we get some really big storms where I live with drifting etc. . I'm afraid the snow will drift in around the eng. compartment and cause some issues .

/ What to do or not to do : #4  
I kept my JD 3020 - gas outside, - beside the garage. It had an engine heater that was always plugged in but only turned on just before I needed it. I had a switch inside the attached garage that powered a weatherproof receptacle outside.

The biggest problem with that setup was I had to walk about 50' around the garage, through the deepest snow drifts to get to the tractor. That, and the cold wind blowing snow at me until I finally got into the cab after engine had warmed a little.

After a couple of winters of that fun, I put an after market cab on the JD 2305 garden tractor and kept it inside the heated garage. Sold the 3020.

/ What to do or not to do :
I kept my JD 3020 - gas outside, - beside the garage. It had an engine heater that was always plugged in but only turned on just before I needed it. I had a switch inside the attached garage that powered a weatherproof receptacle outside.

The biggest problem with that setup was I had to walk about 50' around the garage, through the deepest snow drifts to get to the tractor. That, and the cold wind blowing snow at me until I finally got into the cab after engine had warmed a little.

After a couple of winters of that fun, I put an after market cab on the JD 2305 garden tractor and kept it inside the heated garage. Sold the 3020.

My 2650 is in a heated garage also and it may be hard to give that up . I have had to take out the M5700 a few times during the winter when we have really big storms . I have about 500 ft. of drive and the plow trucks from both towns turn at the end of my drive and leave quite a mess at times .

/ What to do or not to do : #6  
I'm OCD about storage. Nothing I own that's engine powered sits outside. Ten items. Costly to have that much storage space. But not as costly as replacing equipment or parts.

/ What to do or not to do : #7  
For me this would depend on where I could park it. If in an area with lots of drifting and difficult to get to I would be hard pressed to leave outside. If in a semi protected area that is reasonably easy to access then less of a concern.

/ What to do or not to do : #8  
Drifting snow might be an issue if the snow was to completely cover the hood. But remember, the engine is under the hood mostly protected. To cover the sides where it was not protected, maybe a tarp or blanket to keep the snow out. We typically get about 4ft of snow accumulated over the winter where I live. But being in the forest, we dont really have wind. Though I have had snow drifts in some places, and they can get very deep. Parking your tractor where it will drift like that, maybe consider building a pole shed with sides?

Also, doing what bigtiller said works too. Thats how we always did it on the farm when I was a kid. The engine block heaters on all our equipment (semi-trucks, big articulating tractors, etc) were always plugged in. The snow would drift around them, and we never really gave it much thought as to covering the engines or anything. When ever we needed something, like to start the trucks to haul wheat all winter, they always started. Same with out tractors for snow removal. Just go out and start it, unplug it, brush the snow off, and get to work. When finished, park it and plug it back in.

But, to each is their own. You have to decide what will work bet for you and your situation. For me, my tractor sits outside next to my garage where it is easy enough to get to in deep snow.

/ What to do or not to do : #9  
HEC, I am not quite your age, but,, gettin' close!! :eek:

I will let go of the multiple keys, to my multiple tractors, when they pry them from my dead, lifeless hands,,

Keep both tractors, I am positive you will miss them, the month after they are gone,,,

I am sure not that much has changed,, you probably spent a LOT of time selecting just the right machines..
Surely a single machine will require MORE work,,
I would much rather do a minor service to a tractor, as compared to switching attachments ALL YEAR!!

/ What to do or not to do : #10  
If my tractor(s) were stored inside I would not easily give that up for any reason. Staying out of the sun and rain is a lot easier on them.