Buying Advice What to buy?

/ What to buy?
Northern IN

/ What to buy? #12  
I have about 80 acres. Looking to till my garden, bushhog, run a sprayer, push snow, etc...

If I had 80 acres, I certainly would look at a utility tractor not a compact. I'd be looking at something between 35 and 50 hp. You'll find that you will want to do more things with the tractor then what you are presently planning and you'll be limited by tractor size. I don't now how many acres you are planning to mow and what your land is like but that's more acrage than I have and and I started out with a Ford 4610 (46 pto HP) and a Ferguson TO-30 (~25 pto HP).
Certainly price will get into the picture and if you don't have implements you'll have to get these to utilize the tractor and that's more $'s.

How much time do you have to work on the land? Bigger implements need a bigger tractor but if your time is limiting then it's something to consider. Have you sat down and figured out what size implements you want to have and what their power requirements are? How big of a mower you can use and how long it will take you to mow with it? (If the ground is rough and/or hilly you'll mow at about 3 mph and you'll need ~ 4-5 pto hp per ft of mower diameter.)

$'s/ pto HP is a good parameter but is only useful in 1:1 comparisons, i.e. same weight, same transmission type, same three point hitch capacity, same number of remotes, same FEL capability, same hydraulic pump size, same drive configuration (2wd, 4wd), etc. Are you making comparisons on that basis? Generally speaking , the heavier tractor is better at the same HP.

You're wise to look at the major brands but evaluate the dealers also. If you buy new, that's who'll actually do the warranty work. Have you considered buying used with low hours? You can save some $'s there.

Spend some time looking at your requirements as you know them today, size the HP requirements and allow for some growth for the unknowns you haven't considered, then make your decision.
Good luck.

/ What to buy?
Of the 80 acres
2-3 yard
About 30 tillable (cash rented)
About 10 swamp/marsh
About 7 grassland
Rest wooded and creek

I think utility would be far too much. Although the 1643 is 43/33hp. I am not farming anything. Just piddling really. If I need to do some serious damage I have a Clark/Michigan payloader. That thing will move boulders the size of Volkswagens without breaking a sweat. Really just looking for a 3pt so I can cut down on the number of engines I need to maintain. Really wanting to improve garden tilling. Sick of fighting my Case 222 every spring. Only implements I have are an 8' disk and an 8' cultamulcher. First thing on the list will be a tiller. The rest will trickle in from auctions I assume.

Don't have anything I "have" to mow. I have a shooting range on some grassland that I would like to be able to clean up in the fall. Maybe play with the ditches along the road. Nothing major. Sounds like shooting for the 30 pto hp is about right if I want to run a 6' bushhog. Main focus is thin tractor, lotsa hp. Want to be able to run a tiller that will cover the tracks. Not really interested and offsetting the tiller.

1:1? Sounds like a dream come true. Only tractors I have found that I can compare 1:1 is the CIH & NH. Probably because they are the same tractor with different paint! I'm just making sure each has the basic features I am looking for. Extras and omissions just have to bear special consideration. Like the rear remote on the John Deere or the extra loader lift of the Massey. Basic features are 4x4, approx 30pto hp, HST, loader, R4, QA bucket. Items that i would prefer are telescoping links, definitely give special consideration to the two pedal HST control, would like the loader controls to seem like they are meant to be there, extra remotes would be a plus.

I have looked at newer used models here and there and people seem to want thousands more than new for them. Have considered checking out some farm auctions this winter, but new is looking appealing to me right now. I am a stickler about maintaining my equipment and I hate trying to revive things that were not. I'm trying to buy just a little more than I need for good measure, suppose if I ever need more I'll just buy another one.

Just got into Ann Arbor Michigan to check out the 1643 that is set up how I think I want it. We'll see in the AM!

/ What to buy?
Went and checked out the 1643
With the hydrostatic today. LOVE it! By far the nicest and most solidly well thought out tractor I have driven so far. Everything felt right on it. I gotta get one of these babies!

/ What to buy?
Well, I decided that the 1643 was just to large for my main goal of lawn & garden work. I was so impressed though that I decided I needed to have a Massey. So tonight I purchased a GC2400L. Supposedly there is one in Baltimore that will be routed to me, just don't know how long I'm gonna have to wait. Thanks for all the help guys!