What size tractor can we get by with?

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #1  

Stormy873

Tractor
Kubota B8200
We acquired a B8200 and proceeded to impoverish ourselves trying to take care of all the deferred maintenance. All in we have almost $6000 in a litany of fixes, all new hydraulic hoses, new water pump, rebuilt loader cylinders, refurbished gas tank, new water pump, custom fabricated rear wheels and brand new tires…and last week the hydraulics quit…had it hauled into the local dealer and $806 later they said there was water in the hydraulic fluid….brought it home started it up, lifted the loader and hydraulics proceeded to quit working again. Now, we are almost $7k into a tractor and I’m voting it’s time to move on. She’s been a good girl, but She’s a very expensive date.

So, we know we need at least a marginally larger tractor as the B8200 is about 18HP and it has always been really expensive to try and find attachments suitable for that small a tractor. Our needs are fairly simple. We need to loader for cleaning my sheep barn and for moving snow, and we need to be able to disk up our pasture to rehabilitate it. We have lots of rodent damage but the lay of the land is Flat and our acreage is smaller. We would anticipate renovating 1 Acre at a time and we will not be plowing because the topsoil is shallow and we don’t want to kick up any more rocks that we have to. We would like to be able to run a rear offset grade blade not simple back blade but one with adjustable offset illustration attached but we can’t find one that is suited for a smaller tractor. A snowblower would be heaven but unlikely.

With that in mind, will a 25 HP work or will we be much happier with a 30Hp? We are only looking at geared tractors at this point. I have a personal thing against anything that wreaks of having a CVT or hydrostatic drive…Thanks for any and all feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.jpeg
    IMG_3562.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 165
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #2  

Your Kubota B8200 has a bare weight of around 1,500 pounds.

In my experience owning three compact tractors it takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you can feel a significant increase in tractor capability. If you agree with this proposition your options are in the Kubota L2502/L3302/L3902 range, which weigh 2,700+ pounds. Tractors of 2,700 pounds bare weight are suitable for use on 1 to 10 flat acres.

I recommend a three shank All Purpose Plow for your pasture renovation. Dirt Dog and Bush Hog both offer three shank APPs. You will need a 2,700 pound bare weight tractor to pull a three shank APP.

LINKS:

dirt dog all purpose plow

bush hog all purpose plow

Attachments

• DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 337

There are very few 30-horsepower tractors available. After 25-horsepower engines jump to 33-35-horsepower.

Last edited:
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #3  
Another question how big of a frame will work in your sheep barn. May be a real limiting factor. I kept my BX for those tight spaces the much bigger LS is not useful.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #4  
I started off my buying quest thinking I preferred a gear drive L2501, but based on the recommendations of other members, I bought the HST which is insanely better for loader work.

By the time you price a L2502, you might be surprised that the TYM T474 48 hp 4x4 can be had in middle TN for $25,000 for the sync shuttle and $25,800 for the HST version. Another member was able to buy a similar Branson model with a cab in his area for $29,000.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #5  
BIG mistake not considering a hydrostatic,, especially for your type work.
i have both,,
I let my novice son-in-law use the hydrostatic anytime he wants it,,
The pic is his first ever attempt at using a landscape rake, after an excavator took out a bunch of trees,,

G7o2eB2.jpg

BUT,,
he NEVER gets near my gear drives.

Hydro is just so much easier to do work with,,

You will have fewer mechanical failures if you have a hydro,,
especially if you use a loader,,
Loaders are hard on gear drive tractors.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #6  
I am biased, but a Kioti Ck2610/ck2620 will do everything you old machine does, plus a lot more. I paided $20,500; which was the cheapest 'full figured' 25hp machine I found. The TYM 2515 is a bit bigger, a bit more money, but IMO a bit less refined (seat, loader controls). You shouldn't look past the MF1526. It's a bit smaller body sized, but seems like a good machine.

The smaller Tym T25/RK25 would probably out perform the old Kubota you have, but I think your giving up a lot of lift, ground clearance, and overall beafyness, for a $2500 savings (oh, and a 3 range HST vs 2 range).

Given your ground engaging work; an MF1835E 8x8 syncro shuttle might be a good fit, but its $27k including a loader.

Don't know your budget, and since I'm spending your money; an MF 1840M power shuttle, ag or R-14 tires, is what I'm ordering on your dime :), but its around $35k the way I would spec it out (MSRP)

Last edited:
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #7  
Plus 1 more for a Hydrostatic trans. I've owned a few operated a few more. My first hydrostatic was love at first use. So much more controllable and generally better in tight quarters too!
A little bigger than the minimum will serve you longer. Good luck with the search.
PS. shop new/used locally. You can find deals with low hrs. and addons that would cost much more at a dealershit.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #8  
The two omissions that absolutely trash tractor resale values are a traditional clutch and gear transmission and the omission of a Loader.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #9  
I'd say that 25 HP in any of the colors metioned would serve your needs.....as long as you can manuever in/out of the barn....HST of course.

Cheers,
Mike

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #10  
We acquired a B8200 and proceeded to impoverish ourselves trying to take care of all the deferred maintenance. All in we have almost $6000 in a litany of fixes, all new hydraulic hoses, new water pump, rebuilt loader cylinders, refurbished gas tank, new water pump, custom fabricated rear wheels and brand new tires…and last week the hydraulics quit…had it hauled into the local dealer and $806 later they said there was water in the hydraulic fluid….brought it home started it up, lifted the loader and hydraulics proceeded to quit working again. Now, we are almost $7k into a tractor and I’m voting it’s time to move on. She’s been a good girl, but She’s a very expensive date.

SNIP

With that in mind, will a 25 HP work or will we be much happier with a 30Hp? We are only looking at geared tractors at this point. I have a personal thing against anything that wreaks of having a CVT or hydrostatic drive…Thanks for any and all feedback.

There is no way for water to get into the hydraulic fluid unless it set outside uncovered for years and the fluid was never changed during all that maintenance..... which is not likely given $6000 worth of work.

The B8200 is a good tractor, and it ought to be pretty much new after that kind of expense. if it runs OK, I'd be for replacing the hydraulic pump and trans/hydraulic fluid. That's an easy afternoon's work and about $400 for the pump and $300 for the fluid and another hundred for filters... Then see what you have.

At this point you would be betting another thousand bucks against $30,000 new. That's a bet I'd take.
But I'd do the work yourself. Or change mechanics.
rScotty