What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post?

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post?
Thanks for the input - I was hoping someone just had the right pipe size. I can go to my local plumbing supply house but they are typically not friendly to non contractors and showing up with a 4x4 chunk and asking to wander the pipes in the yard might light the guys head on fire (which makes sense because they are both plumbing and electrical so a fire is not out of the question)... and I didn't think the right size would be in a big box store.

To the Pythagorean theorem guy - I did that - I was looking for an answer not a number.

@grsthegreat - I wish I could do that - but here in western NY - railroad ties are impossible... AND - the whole point of doing this is - where my range is located is at the soft sandy swampy end of our field. Every year I have to add more trees to top of the berm and more soil on top of the trees to keep the height where it needs to be because it is continually sinking into the sandy silt in the spring.

I have a set of 4x4's in the ground now a ways back from the berm for hanging steel - want to move them up close to the berm... but need to be able to pull them to drive through the area to add stuff on top of the berm.

To the guys that recommended the post sleeves - that's not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that - but any I have seen are not a robust as a schedule 40 pipe (or other pipe) - usually they are pretty flimsy - and my concern there is when it's so squishy and I'm driving close to them without a post installed to top off the berm- they collapse some - and then I'm back to digging out and resetting.

@Hay Dude - I think this is probably the simplest answer.

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #12  

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #13  
A post anchor might be worth a try.

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #14  
Instead of sinking a base in the ground, set it on top of the ground.
Get an old tire and rim, then fab a box to hold a 2x4 or 4x4 and mount it to the wheel center.
It will be very stable but also easy to move. It will be harder to move but you can hole saw a couple holes in the tire sidewall and fill with concrete if more mass is needed.
Does make them harder to move unless you use a loader.

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #15  
Get an old tire and rim, then fab a box to hold a 2x4 or 4x4 and mount it to the wheel center.
It will be very stable but also easy to move. It will be harder to move but you can hole saw a couple holes in the tire sidewall and fill with concrete if more mass is needed.
Good post - makes me remember the volley ball net poles in the gym years ago. Best idea yet. Maybe.

The world is full of smart people. You my friend are one of them. I think this is a great solution and likely what I’m gonna do!

I’ll go to the tire place and get some used tires. Screw them to a sheet of plywood. Fill them with concrete with holes in them for the posts!

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #17  
I used a pipe floor flange bolted into a tire rim and filled the tire with concrete for a post I needed to anchor one end of a rectangular swimming pool shade cloth - it is about 10 feet up, and for my use, I also added an eyebolt about half way up and used rope from that to two anchor points for stability. Totally portable - easy up and easy down. It worked well, but as said above, a bit heavy to move - even using a small tire - I just don't have to move it but a few feet each year at the end of swim season. And maybe you could slip your PVC pipes over that - increasing in size to get the diameter you want.

Last edited:
   / What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #18  
Seems like you decided what you are going to do, just want to add how I use the post sleeves for anyone that might be interested.

I have a couple of posts that I remove in the summer. What I did was I dug post holes to hold the post with the sleeve on it and then put cement around the sleeve.

The sleeves where actually extremely tight on the posts, I had to use a farm jack and a chain to pull them out the first time. I sanded down the end of the post so that it fit better and I could put them in and take them out easier.

I cut the sleeves off at ground level so that I can mow without hitting them. I also made a couple of post "slugs". These have a large eye screwed into the top below ground level so that I have a way to remove them. I put these slugs in when the posts are out so that the post hole/sleeve doesn't fill with debris.

Seems like you decided what you are going to do, just want to add how I use the post sleeves for anyone that might be interested.

I have a couple of posts that I remove in the summer. What I did was I dug post holes to hold the post with the sleeve on it and then put cement around the sleeve.

The sleeves where actually extremely tight on the posts, I had to use a farm jack and a chain to pull them out the first time. I sanded down the end of the post so that it fit better and I could put them in and take them out easier.

I cut the sleeves off at ground level so that I can mow without hitting them. I also made a couple of post "slugs". These have a large eye screwed into the top below ground level so that I have a way to remove them. I put these slugs in when the posts are out so that the post hole/sleeve doesn't fill with debris.
I actually kinda like this idea for a few reasons. Might consider this approach instead of the tire.

Some good ideas here!

/ What size and thickness plastic pipe for 4x4 post? #20  
Thanks for the input - I was hoping someone just had the right pipe size. I can go to my local plumbing supply house but they are typically not friendly to non contractors and showing up with a 4x4 chunk and asking to wander the pipes in the yard might light the guys head on fire (which makes sense because they are both plumbing and electrical so a fire is not out of the question)... and I didn't think the right size would be in a big box store.

To the Pythagorean theorem guy - I did that - I was looking for an answer not a number.

@grsthegreat - I wish I could do that - but here in western NY - railroad ties are impossible... AND - the whole point of doing this is - where my range is located is at the soft sandy swampy end of our field. Every year I have to add more trees to top of the berm and more soil on top of the trees to keep the height where it needs to be because it is continually sinking into the sandy silt in the spring.

I have a set of 4x4's in the ground now a ways back from the berm for hanging steel - want to move them up close to the berm... but need to be able to pull them to drive through the area to add stuff on top of the berm.

To the guys that recommended the post sleeves - that's not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that - but any I have seen are not a robust as a schedule 40 pipe (or other pipe) - usually they are pretty flimsy - and my concern there is when it's so squishy and I'm driving close to them without a post installed to top off the berm- they collapse some - and then I'm back to digging out and resetting.

@Hay Dude - I think this is probably the simplest answer.
he did give you the answer you need 4.95" inside diameter pipe or a 5"