What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw?

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #71  
Ok slight thread drift now, but I'm motivated to buy proper PPE, what's a good all in one helmet to look at? Good pants? I'm kind of interested in actual pants not cheaper chaps as Im foreshadowing a tangled disorganized mess of straps, Prefer to at least see what I'm buying in person and not order off scamazon even if shopping online has a better selection and price. Currently see echo branded all in one hard hats are about $50 brand name brand cheaper chaps not pants are around $75. I will definitely make a valid attempt to only use when frequent use of a saw is required for wood making, pants when removing several dozen overgrown Xmas tree cutoffs annually.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #72  
You guys with the stihi hard hat with face shield and ear protection does it stay on when you bend over to pick up something off the ground?

I wore a hard hat for about 30 years working but didn’t have a face shield and ear protection and the helmet on the fire department the helmet had a strap.
+1 on all the comments around planning and situational awareness.

I've used both Husquavarna and Stihl hard hats with face shields. I slightly prefer the Stihl. Neither one falls off my head if I bend over to pickup trimmings. If I'm using them for any length of time, I usually add in-ear ear plugs for noise reduction. I have yet to find an on helmet ear muff that had a high enough NRR.

I use Stihl chainsaw chaps. They take a few moments to clip into, and I don't find them a problem to wear. They aren't like wearing shorts, but being used to wearing winter gear, I don't really think about it.

Steel/composite toe boots, on the other hand, I wear because I know I need them. I do notice them.

How many folks run low kickback chains? I do, but that's because I know I'm not an expert, and need every advantage that I can get.

All the best,

Peter

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #73  
Ok slight thread drift now, but I'm motivated to buy proper PPE, what's a good all in one helmet to look at? Good pants? I'm kind of interested in actual pants not cheaper chaps as Im foreshadowing a tangled disorganized mess of straps, Prefer to at least see what I'm buying in person and not order off scamazon even if shopping online has a better selection and price. Currently see echo branded all in one hard hats are about $50 brand name brand cheaper chaps not pants are around $75. I will definitely make a valid attempt to only use when frequent use of a saw is required for wood making, pants when removing several dozen overgrown Xmas tree cutoffs annually.
I would go to your local chainsaw dealer and check out and try on what they have... we have a shop that sell both stihl and Husky and they have both brand of PPE so you can see and try both on.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #74  
Thanks for the insight very recently on my way to hobby farm supply store looked at an echo brand hard hat combo and Oregon branded same basic construction and components but Oregon was yellow and quite a bit less so I bought the yellow one. The rotating adjustment wheel secures the hard hat securely when looking down even with the added weight of ear protection and a mesh face shield have not used it yet when actually cutting though. My search for pants continues. I jokingly figure I can also use it as sibling riot gear also lol

Attachments

• KIMG2447.JPG
    KIMG2447.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
   / What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #75  
Lid color is not important, what is, is the accessories attached to the lid. Far as chaps go, lots of different styles and makes out there. The important thing to be aware of is, how fast they will stop a moving chain and that hinges on what kind and quantity of filler they have under the top layer. I believe there have been some actual studies done on that subject. You might want to use your search engine of choice to peruse that.

No matter what you decide on, they will all be hot on a warm day.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #76  
It's probably a telling sign when you continuously receive new pants as gifts. Cuz all your pants are holier than the Pope from various activities. So not as reluctant on price as I'll probably get my money's worth, Anyways been told the straps on chaps can and do get hung up on brush and branches so another check mark for actual pants.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #77  
It's probably a telling sign when you continuously receive new pants as gifts. Cuz all your pants are holier than the Pope from various activities. So not as reluctant on price as I'll probably get my money's worth, Anyways been told the straps on chaps can and do get hung up on brush and branches so another check mark for actual pants.
I would get these one, built on suspenders and the bob crack cover is a really nice touch ... Although the price makes me wanting them less ($465)

1710176919112.png

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #78  
Those are nice and I like the suspenders however at that price I'd be more concerned at wrecking them than injuring myself by not wearing them. A couple hundred dollar max price point is seemingly more out of reach after my brief googler searches. When I get the time hopefully sooner than later I'll probably visit a few power equipment stores to see in person what's actually out there.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #79  
I have had two different logging helmets and chaps. Either Stihl or Huskavarna on both of them. I’ve never timed putting this stuff on but it can’t take more than a minute. Someone posted it might slow you down. You see people that ride motorcycles say similar things about helmets. I can’t see and hear as well. Wearing safety equipment doesn’t make you any quicker but I doubt it slows you down much.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #80  
After an incident a few years back, I now wear a helmet with an attached face shield. Was under cutting a log and the saw tip wasn't far enough back into the cut, caught the outside of the log, and threw the bar upwards. Was lucky it didn't end up worse than it could have and only caught the top edge of my glasses and scraped the lens.

Attachments

• glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 32