What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw?

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #31  
Nothing... No glasses, no hearing protection, mainly wear shorts and sneakers.
I hope you're kidding. :cautious:
I don't drop many full grown trees anymore, mostly smaller stuff, cleanup and cutting firewood. Glasses (which I wear all the time anyway), hearing protection, good quality boots (though not steel toed) and no loose clothing. Agree with comments about not using a saw when tired.
Last year bought a set of pallet forks to handle the logs when I cut them to length. Lot easier/safer to do that at waist height than either on the pile or ground.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #32  
I keep a small stop the bleed kit readily accessible. Tourniquet, quikclot, and a pressure dressing in a bright yellow pouch(cheapest and brightest I found). I don't always carry it with me, but keep it close by. I had to use it once when I was a dummy.

I need to make another kit for my UTV and tractor.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #34  
Snake bite kit if your cutting in southern areas. Works good in northern regions however for getting embedded tik heads out in my experience.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #35  
Ear protection. Gloves if cold. Otherwise nothing. Wife wants me to get protective pants. She didn’t think it was funny when my carhartt got knicked and the red lining showed.
Not trying to be a wise guy, really want to know. How does one cut pants? What are the situations? Limbing/bucking, blade always headed away from my legs.
I wear glasses, sometimes, ear protection, sometimes, steel toe shoes, sometimes. yes, flirting with injury, but very situationally aware of dangers and surroundings.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #36  
shorts, t-shirt, flip flops…..you know, the hard core protective gear.

But seriously, I wear a Stihl helmet with face shield & ear covers. Steel toe shoes. Can’t seem to warm up to wearing the chaps.
You will the first time you perform 'surgery' on your leg or some other soft tissue part of your body. Been there, did that and last time it took 130 stitches to close the 'field surgery' up and I have a real nice scar to remind me of my stupidity. I actually wear competition chaps now. Those, light gloves (I wear TIG welding calfskin gloves), a Stihl hard hat with muffs and a screen face shield (even though I have Echo saws, the Stihl helmet is one of the best available). Their saws, not so much. Too expensive and I'm not fond of electronic controlled carbs.

Last edited:
   / What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #39  
You cut enough you'll rip your pants with a chain hopefully it's not going full bore when it can really do some damage. After reading this thread and various experiences I may invest in some more proper PPE at minimum
use when I plan on making wood all day.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #40  
Do they make fire resistant kevlar chaps? I can see myself getting sidetracked and starting another project or fixing something with a welder while still wearing chainsaw chaps.