What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw?

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #21  
I've had over 60 years experience using and being around chains saws. An accident usually will require one of two things. A band aide or a Para Medic squad and a surgical team.

Take your pick.

Truth ^

Perception and situational awareness are funny.

I don't do a whole bunch of saw work at home, mainly the typical actions that go with trimming up smaller trees associated with maintaining 4 acres of somewhat landscaped field.... PPE is usually only eye and ear pro...... and then occasionally a hardhat if circumstances in the overhead really seem to warrant it. (don't do a lot of true falling)

On the other hand I do prescribed fire in the winter time and absolutely refuse to use a saw on burn ops. (I don't get paid enough for the risk, and there are a lot more & better qualified people than I available).

However, if someone from the crew I'm running with is using a saw and I'm around I do my darnedest to make sure there's a small trauma/TQ kit immediately available and I have a radio in my hand.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #22  
Loggers helmet, chainsaw chaps and boots that probably is a composite toe. I run a chainsaw a couple of hours and that’s usually enough for me.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #23  
Gloves, helmet, ear and eye protection, steel toe boots, and ballistic pants. No chaps, but I should wear them.
The commercial tourniquet is an excellent addition, preferably one designed for one hand application, but I don't have one. Prevention first, but a tourniquet is going to be the life saver.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #24  
I haven't seen mention yet but in addition to personal safety equipment I keep a fire extinguisher close

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #25  
I guess I could put my logging winch into the safety equipment category. In my forest I have issues with trees getting hung up. Now I can use the winch to pull them until gravity finally wins.

Doug in SW IA

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #26  
Steel toes, and sunglasses. Worse physical thing a chainsaw ever did to me was when I was sharpening chain in a stump vice and the vice popped out of stump the saw slid down my leg and ripped open my pants and the skin pretty grotesquely. Later that day went to hospital to visit someone else the nurses thought I was there for me lol. Most expensive mistake was when I was first given permission to use chain saws on my own, limbing a tree nicked the toes of my brand new school shoes and ruined them I was 12. Will wear added PPE when available but unfortunately I'm stubborn and don't go out of my to wear additional protection. Best thing about using a chainsaw/making wood is most annoying people know to keep there distance and don't try to talk to me when I'm cutting. Like most I assume it's one thing if you injured yourself using equipment, its completely different if my occasional get it done mentality hurts someone else.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #27  
I guess I could put my logging winch into the safety equipment category. In my forest I have issues with trees getting hung up. Now I can use the winch to pull them until gravity finally wins.

Doug in SW IA
I would add that adding pulleys to a winching rig can radically improve the power to free a stuck tree and redirect the fall so you aren't in the path of the fall.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #28  
Hard hat, face shield, proper boots, ( not just steel toes ) chainsaw pants, hearing protection, small hands no gloves, roll of duct tape, rags of various sorts.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #29  
Not just gloves, hard hat, eye/ear protection, chaps, steel toed boots with ballistic nylon tongues.

What first aid do you carry, while hoping that you never need it? I have a blood clot sponge and a military tourniquet, all in the pocket of my chaps. I'm thinking about moving them to someplace more accessible.
I wear the same, but don’t carry the first aid gear. I don’t cut alone.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #30  
Wonder how many folks when dropping larger trees in wooded and hilly areas plan an escape route with multiple routes based on what the tree may do, if sheet hits the fan. I do anyway. I understand kevlar chaps would have definitely prevented my unfortunate but thankfully cosmetic leg injury but so would going into the woods with a sharpened chain beforehand.