What rope do you like? What knots?

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #11  
figure 8 and all its form (double figure 8 or follow through)
prusik knot
Bowline
double fisherman's knot

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #12  
I've never taken the time to use a timber hitch...I learned most of my knots under the very direct supervision of a mountain rescue organization founder who only allowed "pretty knots" to be used (aka knots that are easy to check from a distance which things like the timber hitch are not).
The place I use a timber hitch most is tying up dangling 3-point driveshafts, to keep them off the floor or dirt when storing implements. Other than that, I really don't use them, but I know others like to use them frequently for tying to branches or trees.

Maybe we should edit my list to just say "some sort of hitch". :D

Again, bowline and figure-8, along with the double half hitch cover 95% of all needs.

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #13  
A bowline is one of few knots that you can tighten with a vehicle and still get appart with just your fingers.

Growing up with a avid rock climber I knew lots of knots and lots about rope. We would generaly use old climbing rope for tree work but that ususly just ment getting the trees on the ground. I recently got a 5/8 static (dosnt strech) arborist rope to pull some trees a direction I wanted. It does just as good as a old dynamic climbing rope.

Dynamic ropes (stretch) ropes can be nice because once the tree moves theres still a load pulling against it. Where as with something like a chain the tree may only need to move 12in and the chain is slack.

For moving of logs on the ground I use chain. Anything over head i use rope.

Something like this arborist rope would be a good all around rope for someone starting out. I wouldnt get anything shorter than about 120' any where in the northeast.

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #14  
I second arborist line, especially because I get it so CHEAP.
90% of my use is felling trees or strapping stuff down for movement.
Bought it from CMC Equipment & Training | Rope Rescue, Access, SAR, Height
It's sold as short sections for something like $75/50 lbs of rope and it was a mix of diameters, colors, etc. It was SUPPOSED TO INCLUDE some small diameter ropes (cord), like 1/4 inch but never did. But each box included about 4 to 5 hundred feet of rope, shortest piece about 10 feet, longest about 110 feet, all ideal for my uses. All the rope I received was very useable, and well worth $1/foot. I must have bought 3 boxes over the years and given a lot of it to my sons.
Heck, in researching this response I decided to buy another box. Now they are charging shipping, so it come out to ~ $110 for 500 feet of rope.
linky

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #15  
There are several youtube videos on arborists knots which are very specific to the rope and task at hand.

The problems are you don't want a knot to slip, you want to be able to easily untie it, and a rope loses a lot of its strength as soon as you tie any knot in it, with some knots being much worse than others.

For some reason, rope doesn't get much respect on TBN even though tree professionals strongly prefer it due to it offering the right combination of strength to weight when they need a line in a tree.

They are also very specific in choosing rope pulleys. Their lives depend on the right rope and pulleys to climb trees, safely lower cut material, and to winch trees over.

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #16  
There are several youtube videos on arborists knots which are very specific to the rope and task at hand.

The problems are you don't want a knot to slip, you want to be able to easily untie it, and a rope loses a lot of its strength as soon as you tie any knot in it, with some knots being much worse than others.

For some reason, rope doesn't get much respect on TBN even though tree professionals strongly prefer it due to it offering the right combination of strength to weight when they need a line in a tree.

They are also very specific in choosing rope pulleys. Their lives depend on the right rope and pulleys to climb trees, safely lower cut material, and to winch trees over.
It's not lack of respect, but tractor/ground work which most of us do is a whole lot different than aerial/tree work... Anybody watching a arborist 50-80 feet off the ground on one 1/2 inch rope has to give a lot of respect for the rope....

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #18  
You know how some people are just naturally talented at some things? Not so much with me and knots. I can barely tie my shoes.

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #19  
I use to measure my knot quality by how much it weighed when tied (e.g. keep piling on the granny knots till it holds!)

Since then I have engaged in mountain climbing and I have a whole new respect for knots. my top 4 are:
-any of the figure 8's
-Clove hitch
-Bowline
-Munter-Mule (for securing a heavy load and then being able to release and lower it under high tension.)

Honorable mention goes to the Prussic. I consider this a magic knot...

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #20  
one that hasn't been mention and is very useful is the butterfly knot