what makes it better?

/ what makes it better? #1  

adamfilip

im trying to figure out which brand of tractor to get , kubota, john deere or New Holland, im not sure i like the kubota tractors but my dad says john deere, its just for grass cutting about 3 acres. im looking for atleast 18 horses. diesel prefered. with ability for a grass catcher and snowblower attachments.,.

what makes a kubota a better tracter then a john deere, why were they rated less favorablly in consumer reports (havent read the article, just heard it was) i need some real advice..

also what about for a grass trimmer, (weed eater) what brands would you all suggest?

please help

/ what makes it better? #2  
Without stirring up the flames, I'll preface this and say that all 3 are great!!! tractors. That being said, and not currently owning a Kubota, but very familiar with them, I prefer them. While the Ford 2120 12X12 I have is nice, the Kubotas I have used, have, in my humble opinion, a better engine, and the hydrostatic transmission is hands down the best of the compacts. If your not interested in HST, then the difference in the diesels is not so great that it would prevent me from either John Deere or New Holland. The New Holland "Boomers" have some neat new features like SuperSteer. Don't fall into the old farts attitude that the John M. Deere Company is American and thats what I buy. The company is, but the compacts are as Japanese as Zero's and/or Asian, as in Yanmar, Shibaura and Kubota. Buy what you feel to be the best value. And remember, you can never have a loader that lifts enough. Thats my 2 cents and I'm sure I'm overcharging. Rat...

/ what makes it better? #3  
I pretty much agree 100% with Paddock.

They're all good tractors. Don't get hung up on who makes what or where - they're all made somewhere else. I really feel that it's unfortunate, and I wish I didn't have to drive a Japanese tractor and a German car, but I'm not settling for inferior quality, either, to satisfy somebody else's idea of nationalism. Besides, if everybody did that, the quality of the locally produced stuff would improve, and the problem would go away. I do own a Ford Contour because my wife doesn't like the smell of diesel fuel, and a Dodge truck because Cummins makes what I think is the best diesels there is in that class. When an American company makes a diesel car that'll compete with the VW, and I wear out the VW, I'll try it. Same goes for my Kubota.

Anyway, look at the features of the tractors you're considering, and the money you want to spend, then buy what you like. I settled on Kubota, too, but my tractor is a little more than you're looking for, an L4310HST. FWIW, which isn't much, I strongly recommend HST, as you know already if you've been following the posts on this board for more than a week. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark "No HST - no interest" Chalkley

/ what makes it better? #4  
For only 3 acres I would strongly suggest you look at the Kubota BX series. You will find it affordable and probably all the machine you need. If you want a bigger machine, the John Deere 4100, New Holland TC18 or 21, Kubota B7400, 7500 or 2410, Cub Cadet 20 horsepower model (forgot the model name) and Massey Ferguson 1215 are all similar in quality and capability. As mentioned, all are Japanese, all have been around for a long time so have proven track records, all have well developed dealership networks so you will be able to get parts and service down the road, and all have devoted followers. You just can't make a bad choice if you stick to a name brand.

/ what makes it better? #5  
For me it was simple.
HST,turning ratio,comfort,dealership close by,brand name oh yes $$$,and that why I purchase a Kubota.
I'm not sure if your married, but don't forget your better half as well.
Take your time and visit as many dealership as you can also try different models.
Take Care.

/ what makes it better? #6  
Five or six years ago, I'd have probably been like your Dad, and said John Deere was the only way to go (when I had not had much experience with tractors for 30 years), but now I have a Kubota. And I agree with the other guys; all the name brands make good machines, get the one you like the best.

As for string trimmers, about the same thing. There are several good brands. For me personally, I would only consider Stihl and Echo (personal preference and experience with three cheaper brands), unless you are prepared to spend a lot more money as I did when I sold my Stihl and bought a DR trimmer/mower on wheels.

Bird

/ what makes it better? #7  
As far as string trimmers go, here in California, almost without exception, the landscape maintenance folks use Shindawa. But, the new Honda four strokes are begining to take over. Only slightly heavier but they are so much quieter. Thats what I would look at, the Honda. Rat...

/ what makes it better? #8  
Well, the most popular commercial string trimmers I've seen were the Echo, and I don't believe I've ever seen a Shindawa or Honda, but I've always been favorably impressed with Honda products, so I'd sure want to look at that if I were in the market for one.

Bird

/ what makes it better? #9  
It all goes back to what is sold in your area, then go from there. What may be a great string trimmer may not be worth a thing if you don't have a dealer close by. Some great products out west are seldom seen in the east and vise versa.
For a tractor both companies have good and not so good models I'm partial to Kubota thats because I own one and put it through its paces thats for sure.
For a string trimmer I have a Stihl the dealer is only six miles from the house I would have bought a Husqvarna but the guy at the saw shop wouldn't budge on price. I run Husqvarna saws and have had very good luck with them.
That four stroke Honda sounds pretty neat bet it also has a pretty neat price tag as well.
Gordon

/ what makes it better? #10  
Great comments from Gordon and Bird. I had a Husqvarna string trimmer, it was fine, still have a Sthil chainsaw, its great and have a Echo chainsaw and blower both great. When it comes to the ultimate in hand held string trimmers, its very hard to beat the Honda. But your right Gordo, the price is more, but the peace of mind is so nice. Husky and Sthil make great chainsaws, Echo makes great price/performance tools. If you have a Shindawa string trimmer dealer near you check it out, as far as 2 strokes go, they are tough to beat. Echo, Sthil and Husqvarna are all great alternatives.