What lube in front axle?

/ What lube in front axle? #11  
I run the 80w-90 gear oil also. The OEM fill was thin like UTF. I want to lubricate gears so I use a gear oil. The rear end shares a sump with the HST trans and hydraulics so it needs to use the same UTF. My old dozer with seperate final drives for the rear used gear oil in there.

/ What lube in front axle? #12  
Stopped by my dealer today, this is exactly what they told me. They said the thinner hydraulic oil lubricates better in cold weather than the thicker gear oil, which is what I was thinking too.

If that gives you that warm,fuzzy feeling, go for it. I'll stick with my thought that a GL5EP lube is a superior lubricant in a high load area:confused:

/ What lube in front axle? #14  
Have always been told 80/ 90 gear oil after the first lube change 50 hours

/ What lube in front axle? #15  
Dang 15 year old thread just got woke 🤷

“Been told” is hearsay. The OM is where the right info is found…😉

/ What lube in front axle? #16  
Some of the recent post have made me think about my front axle a little more. It's almost first service time, the manual says to use hydraulic or gear oil in the front axle. There is quite a viscosity difference between hydraulic and gear lube, just wondering what everyone is using in their tractor.

You can use either trans-hydro oil (like 20C which is the same stuff that companies like Polaris use—but they call it angle fluid and keep what it really is a big secret) or gear oil. Most people when doing their first 50-hour swap out whatever is in there for gear oil.