What kind of box blade did I just buy?

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #31  
Because a carriage bolt puts me in the same predicament - having to make a square hole. If I really had to, I suppose I could move my press out in to the middle of the shop, rig up a hoist to get it in, etc...but if I can make do with a regular hex bolt, life would be a lot easier.
1678315215558.png

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #32  
If you drill a round hole of a certain size you can easily pull a carriage bolt into it with the nut and have something 'semi pressed' although not as strong as a splined design or a real square hole. But ive found most of the time when using impacts that even if the other side is not held all that tight, it usually wont turn as you're tightening because it's being pulled down onto the face of the hole so tightly. So even a 'semi pressed' carriage bolt is probably fine for many uses. You can also tack weld the head to the outside too, in which case you'd just be using your round hole as a 'locator' and not care about the barely-biting corners on the square.

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #35  
My dad ran the county maintainer for years. I recently discovered 4 forgotten blades he had stacked outside the shed. I cut one to length clamped and tacked it to my Gannon. 30 minutes and will be able to remove it in 10. Screw them bolts.

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #36  
I bought a box blade probably 15 years ago.
Used it twice.
My tractors for this are two Masseys rated at 55pto hp and weighing in at 5500lbs + with loaded rears.
Unless you are really good and quick with the hydraulics and don't take on too big a bite your little Ford isn't going to do much with this attachment.
Use my 3pth blade all the time. Mine can be offset to the side, the entire blade turned upto 45 degrees for ditching and the blade turned either way to push material to the side I chose.
I find it so much more useful than the box blade.
Just saying.

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #37  
Your scarifiers are probably hardened. May be hard to weld and not have them break. You can find reasonable ones on line if they don't hold up after repair.

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #38  
I pull a 60” box blade with 5 rippers with a 14hp Kubota B6100.. It weighs all of about 1800lbs AFTER the 500lb FEL and upsized loaded rear tires. I can only rip in low range, but i can drag an overflowing 60” box with it and use it a lot more than my rear angle blade..

Not saying anyone else is wrong, but opinions and results will vary. I do think ‘the right’ angle blade will do everything a box blade will do and more, but ive been looking for a couple years and i have never seen ‘the right’ angle blade that wuld do everything i want. So.. planning to modify mine. But i sure wouldn’t give up my box blade until all my theories about the ‘perfect’ angle blade are proven!!

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #39  
Much depends on the hardness of the dirt and how much needs to be moved, whether the ground is level or hilly or whether you can work in 4 wheel drive or not.

/ What kind of box blade did I just buy? #40  
Your Kubota is a miracle machine to pull that much.
My Masseys have about 4 times the hp and 3 time the weight.
Never run out of power pulling an 84" box blade. However when it starts to fill up they run out of traction.
Maybe loose sand or gravel would be different. My place is more on the heavy clay side.
With the rippers and a full box I'm not going anywhere fast.