What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #81  
So how do you run them dry? Siphon the fuel from the tank and then let the carburetor run dry?
If there's a fuel valve, I turn it off and let the engine idle until it's used up the fuel in the carb. With chainsaws I dump the gas into a can, then start the saw and let it idle to run the carb dry. The old gas goes into the lawn mower or log splitter.

OTOH my riding mower is 24 years old and since it does not have a valve, I just let it sit with gas in the carb. Never been a problem. It's also on the original carb. I should probably replace the original fuel line as it's looking kind of moldy on the outside.

Ethanol can cause phase separation in cold weather but it doesn't get that cold in my part of CA.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?
well,-- lets see,---Powerful?,--lightweight?,-- start on first pull????????????????? THAT rules out ALL chainsaws! lol! Better opt for a big dozer and be done with it!lol!
So you dont mind dropping 700 green backs a day to clear out all the lots...better to just buy a new tractor with the attachments, and a good chainsaw...

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?
Battery chainsaws are almost here. My primary chainsaw is a Stihl....but it is picky about just what gas it likes - and there are days I just don't want to pull that cord or wrestle with it. I've been cutting our firewood since building the cabin in 1971 and don't need the hassle.

So I decided to try a portable electric. A Makita XCU03. It runs on two 18 volt lithium batteries and comes standard with 4 batteries & dual charger..
Frankly I've been surprised at how handy it is. It's a lightweight nicely balanced saw and one set of batteries will drop a mature 10 inch ponderosa pine, then limb and dice it up into 16" rounds. 4 batteries will do two trees, which is more than the FEL bucket can hold.

There are downsides: It does use a chain with smallish teeth, and lacks any low end torque for getting unstuck. Bring a mallet and plastic wedge - but then I do that anyway. Plus it has just about the worst bar oiler - or non-oiler - that I've yet seen. It has an adjustable oiler which allows for multiple settings that don't work. So also along comes the shampoo bottle of bar oil.

It's a nice trimming and limbing saw that will also do enough small tree work to make it worth bringing along. I'd buy it again.
rScotty
The ones that seem to fit the bill are the Stihl battery powered chainsaw with 36 volt battery and the Dewalt battery powered chainsaw with 60 volt battery, but curiously they are missing out of the inventory in the stores (they leave them out on the floor with no security, wonder where they went).

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #84  
I have used battery powered saws and for limbing trees, they are good. But the most powerful battery chainsaw wouldn't hold a candle to a mid grade pro saw. Heck, it probably wouldn't out do a low grade pro saw, like 50cc or higher. Wranglerstar has a good comparison. Now for occassional work, i understand a battery saw. But not for clearing land. It just wont last or hold up

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #85  
The ones that seem to fit the bill are the Stihl battery powered chainsaw with 36 volt battery and the Dewalt battery powered chainsaw with 60 volt battery, but curiously they are missing out of the inventory in the stores (they leave them out on the floor with no security, wonder where they went).

I have a couple friends that have the Milwaukee 18V saw. They both love them. I have the Milwaukee weedeater and blower. Don't let the "little" 18v battery throw you off. They are super powerful. I would not expect to be able to run it all day on 1 battery but for intermittent work they would be great. I would hesitate to recommend a battery saw as primary for your project but they have their place.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #86  
   / What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #87  
So you dont mind dropping 700 green backs a day to clear out all the lots...better to just buy a new tractor with the attachments, and a good chainsaw...
I understand your point as it's exactly what I usually do. But I have been in situations where, after it's all said and done, I wished I had just paid the money and got someone with the experience, equipment and expertise to knock it out quickly so I could move on with other projects and just maintain the finished result of the main project. It will have to be maintained after all.

Looking back on some, I would have been better off because by the time I got through doing it myself with little equipment I was just right back where I started. Had I had it all done with proper equipment I would have been way ahead.

It really just depends on the extent you want done and the time line you need to have it done by. If you are just doing it to have something to do then have at it with a chainsaw and tractor. But if you are wanting to develop something professionally for profit, gotta remember, Time Is Money.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #88  
I have used battery powered saws and for limbing trees, they are good. But the most powerful battery chainsaw wouldn't hold a candle to a mid grade pro saw. Heck, it probably wouldn't out do a low grade pro saw, like 50cc or higher. Wranglerstar has a good comparison. Now for occassional work, i understand a battery saw. But not for clearing land. It just wont last or hold up
i'd say your u tube selection should be required reading for those considering battery powered ch saws. definitely advantages to battery, but he does bring out good points in favor of gas powered. it's always about choice & application interesting view

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #89  
luckily our local Cenex (Roseau MN) has a premium non ethanol pump option so that is all I run through my small engines, snowmobiles, wood processor, atv's, etc... :) the extra cost I think is well worth it.

I think it has made a big difference in lowering repairs over the years.

I highly recommend using the non ethanol suppliers for chain saws.
In the proletarian states i live near such as Ma, RI and Conn, no choice for non ethanol at the pump. You can buy it at our local outdoor power equipment facility..$14 per gallon.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #90  
Non-alki gas here in Il. is hard to get too! --- SAD for sure!