What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #61  
^^^^ Gasoline is a bit tooo explosive for my use on a burn pile...diesel works!

Winter time burns can create some steam at start up. If one is good, two piles burning at the same time is great...

Cleared about 10 acres 2 years ago...like the OP, there's still some slash to burn.

The critters seem to like them more than I do, so I've not burned in a while...
20201229_104516.jpg

Last edited:
   / What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #62  
I know old post; but that many logs would have made for a LOT of sellable firewood (full logs or split). $$$$

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #63  
Yes many people also willing to accept free firewood, as long as it's cut, split & delivered!

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #65  
We live very close to a mill that makes pallets, small poles and stakes. I think that is all they do. They became very automated in the last year or so, which also means that there are many rejects, knots in the wrong place for a stake or pole and stuff like that. I use to buy some of their scrap as kindling, but now they are giving it away for free and as much as you can take.

Just before our major ice storm this February, when we lost power for 12 days, I stocked up on their reject stakes which just so happen to fit perfectly in our wood stove. Kept us warm and cooked food, and boiled water for coffee and teas.

Now that I'm doing cleanup and burn piles, these have become very handy to establish coals to get all the green wood to burn. It is kinda weird to think of the economy of it. Yet they are happy to give it away, and I'm certainly happy to have all this pre-cut dry kindling, for starting the burn piles. :)

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #66  
Ive burned some really big piles of wood with the help of some backpack blowers and a walk behind. I borrowed a couple from friends too. Set them up in a circle around the pile, use a cinder block to keep the tubes in place and set the throttle lock. Then some diesel and used motor oil to get the flames going and the blowers keep the fire stoked. Burns fast!

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #67  
Years ago, a retired Forest Ranger her in NY told me that you can burn more wood faster--and with less smoke--with a few small fires than on HUGE one. I suspect the principle applies even to the large logs...but it'll take some experimenting to get it right.