What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?
Re: What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

Well, I'm off to do that now.

I have a 5 gallon bucket about 2/5ths full of oil that meets the JD 303 specs, so I'll start out with that, and then I'll have to find another place that might sell some around here in Chapel Hill, NC (hint hint if anyone knows of a place that would be great! Would NAPA?).

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #12  
Re: What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

dieselfuelonly said:
Well, I'm off to do that now.

(hint hint if anyone knows of a place that would be great! Would NAPA?).

Mine does. Wally World, Sam's,

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

Ok so here is the update:

I started out by draining the trans/hydraulic fluid into a bucket which had a hole in it, therefore spilling about 1/2 a gallon on to the floor of my barn.

Got some FRESH cat litter and put it on the floor. Need a little more, but oh well.

Swapped buckets. Drained the remaining oil.

Next, I started to remove the filter. At least I thought it was the filter. Apparently it was some random part at the rear of the tractor that I was removing bolts too. After I found that it did not come off easy, I got my manual for the US version of my tractor. Whoops, tightened those bolts back up. Found the actual filter, removed it, washed it off, replaced it.

Enter stage left curse words.

I learned about 17 new ways to string curse words together trying to get that last bolt on top of the line that runs into the filter on. Since my tools, my floor, and my hands were all covered in tras/hyd. fluid, my hands were slipping, I kept dropping my socket wrench, the tool that looks like a screwdriver but that you can put sockets on kept running into the brake linkage, etc etc. Finally managed to get it back on there. Hope I didn't cross-thread anything too bad :D.

Grabbed my bucket of fluid that the previous owner gave me. Stuck my funnel in the fill and happily emptied the remaining fluid in the bucket into my tranny. Later I learned that the resivour requires 2.5 gallons of fluid instead of whatever I was dumping in there. It reads about 1/8th to 1/4" of an inch over the full mark now.

Anyway, started the tractor, pulled on the lever to make the carryall come up. Nothing happend. Kept holding it, thankfully it came up, system must have just had to prime. Drove outside of the barn, checked the fluid, still above full. Drove over to the log to try to pick it up. Same EEEEEEEEEEEKing sound. Listened to it carefully, was NOT coming from the pump on the front of the engine, it was coming from the rear of the tractor near all the hydraulic lift stuff in the rear. Guessing its just a relief valve.

Well, at least I have changed my fluid now.

PLEASE READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE!

Do I need to drain the tras/hyd. fluid so that it is below the full mark on the dipstick? It is about 1/8th to 1/4th of the way over the full mark with the tractor running in neutral. I know sometimes having a little extra isn't a bad thing, but at the same time I don't want to harm anything.

Well, what is the noise coming from the rear? Relief valve as I had suspected or something else?

Thanks!

Dennis

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #14  

Sounds like mine when I have the lift lever out of adjustment (all the way against the stop) & the lift is trying to raise higher . Kinda like the lift is bottomed out ,but the hyd pressure is tryng to raise the lift higher.

See if this works. Stop your lift lever b-4 the lift lever hits the stop .Then see if the 3 point is all the way up without making the noise

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #15  

kenmac said:
Sounds like mine when I have the lift lever out of adjustment (all the way against the stop) & the lift is trying to raise higher . Kinda like the lift is bottomed out ,but the hyd pressure is tryng to raise the lift higher.

See if this works. Stop your lift lever b-4 the lift lever hits the stop .Then see if the 3 point is all the way up without making the noise

After you try the test that Kenmac has suggested you might want to make a mark so you will know how high is high enough when raising the lift lever. My unit has a mark that someone made with a marker at somepoint, so I never lift it past this mark. I even tought about adding a nut and bolt to act a stop so I can't but have not gotten that added yet.

On the oil I can't say if you need to drain out the excess of not becuase I do not know for sure but sometimes too much is as bad as not enough. Case and point, I was recently working on a fracturing rig that had a 50 liter diesel engine on it. When it was fired up and brought to speed it puked about a gallon or more of oil out the engine breather. This scared the crap out of some of us as we tought something was wrong with the engine. After some invesitgation it was discovered that someone had over filled the engine by about 15 gallons of oil. It holds about 75 and they put at least 90 in it. Once we drained the excess oil out if was back to work and good to go.

Just another day in the oil patch........you wouldn't believe the things I see from time to time.

Box

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #16  

On my 3110 you can go all the way up if the draft control is in one place. move it the other way and you have to stop before you get to the top.the hydraulic lever is mark on one side shorter then the other .

Well I don't think its the lift lever because with non really heavy stuff (my tiller, carryall without heavy logs on it, dirt scoop, etc.) I don't get the noise.

But when I try to pick up something really heavy like the log I get the noise.

Normally I would think that it would be because of the weight of what I was trying to pick up, but I also get the noise from time to time if I hit a good rut or something with my bushhog up off the ground, and when the bushhog bounces up and down when it goes back down I hear a little "squeak!" from the hydraulics.

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #18  

dieselfuelonly said:
...Normally I would think that it would be because of the weight of what I was trying to pick up, but I also get the noise from time to time if I hit a good rut or something with my bushhog up off the ground, and when the bushhog bounces up and down when it goes back down I hear a little "squeak!" from the hydraulics.

It could still be the weight - rather the downward force on the 3pt.

Consider that the dynamic loading from the bouncing bushhog could easily and momentarily create as much or more downward force as the static weight of a large log. In fact, that matches very well with your report of the 'little "squeak"' and gives me reason to strongly suspect that the noise is happening because of possible overloading of the 3pt hydraulic system.

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #19  

Tom_Veatch said:
It could still be the weight - rather the downward force on the 3pt.

Consider that the dynamic loading from the bouncing bushhog could easily and momentarily create as much or more downward force as the static weight of a large log. In fact, that matches very well with your report of the 'little "squeak"' and gives me reason to strongly suspect that the noise is happening because of possible overloading of the 3pt hydraulic system.

Diesel ,

IMO Tom has the correct answer here, your 1401 is performing its job just fine,
Its a matter over overloading it for the time it squeals.

1. what size brush hog mower do you have on the back?

2. maybe you need to move up to a bigger machine ?

3. A 1401-D will only lift so much, then squeal !!:eek: