What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Is it a pressure relief valve or something?

I've noticed when I tried to lift a really heavy log with my carryall it made this noise. I also hear little "jolts" of it when I hit a rut or something and the tractor bounces when I have my bush hog on the back.

Just curious. Is it a bad thing to let the tractor make that noise?

Thanks!

Dennis

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #2  
Re: What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

Probably the pump telling you to get out your wallet!
I wouldn't do it again, because my Steiner told me that and I ignored it for about a minute too long. It still works, but I know their is something wrong with it because I lost enough hydraulic pressure that it doesn't want to run in high gear anymore.
You pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck if you ignore it.
David from jax

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #3  
Re: What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

It it is a pressure relief valve, it's probably no big deal. If it is the pump cavitating, you probably have a problem on your hands.

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

The pump doesn't make the noise it normally.

Lift operates smoothly, seems normal.

It only occurs when I try to lift something really heavy or when I hit a bump and the bush hog bounces up and back down (driving back to the barn with the bush hog in the air).

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #5  

That's what I got from your original post. Someone with a Yanmar may be able to shed more light on it, but I wouldn't think that bush hog weighs enough to be that close to your 3PH capacity, so to me it sounds like there is something wrong.

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #6  

The noise is your pump squealing for more fluid than its getting to perform the task you're asking it to do.

I would replace the hydraulic fluid & clean out the filter screen in the tractor.
9x out of 10 this will cure the problem.

nobody likes a squealer !! :rolleyes:

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt?

That is probably a good idea, I do not know when the fluid was last changed in the tractor.

Newbie questions:

I have a manual for my tractor, but it is for the US version. I am not sure if it is the EXACT US model that is the same as mine, but it is pretty darn close.

But I still would feel better if I could get confirmation from ya'll here on TBN first:

1. What fluid should I replace it with? Does the same fluid that runs my hydrauilcs also work in the transmission? I only see one resivoir, so thats my guess, but I'm not positive.

2. Where might this filter and screen be?

3. I check the level of the fluid using the dipstick by my gearshift periodically. It is halfway between low and full. Could I clean the filter first and see if maybe it is just clogged, or will I have to drain all the fluid anyway in order to clean the filter?

Thanks for any help!

Dennis

Quick question:

I have a napa pretty near my place. Might they have an equivalent to the JD 303 fluid that I am supposed to use?

/ What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #9  

dieselfuelonly said:
1. What fluid should I replace it with? Does the same fluid that runs my hydrauilcs also work in the transmission? I only see one resivoir, so thats my guess, but I'm not positive.

Any transmission/hydraulic fluid which meets JD303 specification. Check the fluid container to verify that specification is listed before purchase.

2. Where might this filter and screen be?

Description specific to my tractor, is probably similar for yours: It's a cylindrical filter that installs transverse to the sump. It's behind a circular cover plate on the left side of the sump forward of and below the rear axle. See the attachment for the location on my tractor.

3. ... will I have to drain all the fluid anyway in order to clean the filter?

Yes.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Filter.JPG
    Hydraulic Filter.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 326
   / What is that high-pitched noise when I try to lift something too heavy with the 3pt? #10  

Mine was doing the same thing. As Ernie said your pump is starving for fluid.

I just serviced the transmission on my 1610D this past Sunday. It is an easy job. You will need a oil pan the holds about 4 gallons to drain into and some gasket sealer to put on the edge of the cover when you go back together other than that it is as easy as changing the oil in your car. The screen can be cleaned with a soft brush and some diesel or carb cleaner. Mine was fairly clean and I have out almost 90 hours on my unit so far.

The transmission sump on mine has 2 drains one in the middler and one right under the filter cavity. Make sure you drain the both, I did not see the second one until I had already pulled the filter out of the tranmission.

Even though my screen was not dirty the system quit squealing after I changed the oil and refilled so I must have been a little low or there some blockage that I did not see.