What is Photobucket thinking!?!?

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #1  

Zick

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 2350
PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images - gHacks Tech News

Apparently now they feel something they been giving/allowing for many many years is worth $400/yr. :thumbdown:
No way is it worth that much but this is crap because now all my pictures are screwed up and even changing to another hosting site would mean having to go back and re-link all the photo's over again...

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #2  
PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images - gHacks Tech News

Apparently now they feel something they been giving/allowing for many many years is worth $400/yr. :thumbdown:
No way is it worth that much but this is crap because now all my pictures are screwed up and even changing to another hosting site would mean having to go back and re-link all the photo's over again...

That explains the image I have seen on several TBN posts this morning.

photobucket.jpg

Steve

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #3  
That explains the image I have seen on several TBN posts this morning.

View attachment 513860

Steve

I didn't think I had any third party but I got a notice they have disabled some of my account because of it (I am still on the freeby altho they keep bugging me to upgrade)

Anyone have a suggestion for another free photo hosting site?

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #4  
Would something like DropBox work? You can set public folders and then share the link out I believe, never done it but I think it works that way.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #5  
Sounds like Photobucket has enough people's images in their archives that they reckon they've got their 'clients' by the short&curlys.

It's a form of extortion.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #6  
I had no idea... bummed out, I have thousands of pictures stored in PB.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #7  
Anyone have a suggestion for another free photo hosting site?
I think there are a bunch of free options. If you sign up for a Hotmail account, you can use OneDrive. It will automatically sync to a folder on your PC, you can share folders, and they have a mobile client.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #8  
i have years of picture posting on various forums using photobucket...im pretty dang pissed off they'd pull this crap...dang near ALL photos I've posted are now gone...

im not giving photobucket a **** penny.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #9  
I think that photobucket thought that it would be big and clever to get in on this ransomeware craze that's going about. They might get one out of every 10000 or so to pay up until they find a workaround, but they've effectively deposited something entirely unpalatable in their mess kit.

/ What is Photobucket thinking!?!? #10  
Definitely a high price but bandwidth isn't free. I pay for a flickr account just for this reason.

If you're using something for 'free' then you're not using a product, you are the product.