What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #425  
The germane part is that 'mean old cop' has the ticket book and the power to arrest the kid if he gets mouthy.
The germane part is that the cop has zero power to arrest anyone for being "mouthy".

This has failed every single time it's been tried.

Not me saying so, but the US Supreme Court saying so. Freedom of speech, and all that.

Any power mad cop that tried(s) that results in a lawsuit against the city/town of jurisdiction and a hefty $ settlement to the plaintiff.

Sure they still try it (power mad cops), but they fail every time. Doing away with "qualified immunity" would solve 90% of these instances.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #426  
The germane part is that the cop has zero power to arrest anyone for being "mouthy".
Although a LEO may have zero power to arrest anyone for being "mouthy", there are general rules in life one must follow.

One of the rules at least for myself is always be polite to a law enforcement officer.

The ONE time I didn't was when one showed up at my doorstep at 0100. Long story, but miscommunciation on the laws side internally per their own department. I saw that LEO later and sincerely apologized for my attitude at that time in the early morning and he apologized for the miss-communication on their end.

Also keep in mind, being polite does not always mean being a "push over". Had a state trooper pull me over on a long drive on my end at night while I was driving to a hotel where I was doing a class the next morning. Cop was only on a fishing expedition as he pulled me over because apparently my tires hit the middle lane stripe on the road. When he started looking in my car with his flashlight, I told him again that I had not had a single drop of alcohol that entire week, I was on my way to a hotel for work, and that if he wanted to arrest me to do so, or let me go on my way (I was there on the side of the road for a pretty long time and this was after he ran my drivers licnese). He let me go.

I was heading to a college town. I knew he thought I was probably some kid out driving and driving when I was just tired from a long day and had to be up early the next day.

My nephew just graduated the police academy ironcially from the same college town I was driving to when I got pulled over. He just got a job in Charlotte as a LEO. He always used to come over to do some shooting on the weekends when he was in college and I know he's a good kid. My only advice to him was to be safe and don't let all the bad people you have to deal with make you a dick to the good people you have to deal with. I can see with all the "interesting people" LEO's have to deal with, they can get kind of jaded when dealing with the general public.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #427  
Although a LEO may have zero power to arrest anyone for being "mouthy", there are general rules in life one must follow.

One of the rules at least for myself is always be polite to a law enforcement officer.

The ONE time I didn't was when one showed up at my doorstep at 0100. Long story, but miscommunciation on the laws side internally per their own department. I saw that LEO later and sincerely apologized for my attitude at that time in the early morning and he apologized for the miss-communication on their end.

Also keep in mind, being polite does not always mean being a "push over". Had a state trooper pull me over on a long drive on my end at night while I was driving to a hotel where I was doing a class the next morning. Cop was only on a fishing expedition as he pulled me over because apparently my tires hit the middle lane stripe on the road. When he started looking in my car with his flashlight, I told him again that I had not had a single drop of alcohol that entire week, I was on my way to a hotel for work, and that if he wanted to arrest me to do so, or let me go on my way (I was there on the side of the road for a pretty long time and this was after he ran my drivers licnese). He let me go.

I was heading to a college town. I knew he thought I was probably some kid out driving and driving when I was just tired from a long day and had to be up early the next day.

My nephew just graduated the police academy ironcially from the same college town I was driving to when I got pulled over. He just got a job in Charlotte as a LEO. He always used to come over to do some shooting on the weekends when he was in college and I know he's a good kid. My only advice to him was to be safe and don't let all the bad people you have to deal with make you a dick to the good people you have to deal with. I can see with all the "interesting people" LEO's have to deal with, they can get kind of jaded when dealing with the general public.
On the very few instances that I have to interact with an leo, I am ALWAYS polite. ALWAYS.

My post had NOTHING to do with "polite". I believe in defending ALL the rights listed as ours in the Constitution. Not just the 2nd Amendment, but ALL the amendments. Including the right to free speech, and the right to be free from unwarranted search and seizures. It is a violation of the first amendment to arrest someone for being "mouthy". No matter how badly the leo's feelings got hurt, or how bad a day they're having. This has been consistently upheld at federal appeals courts and the US Supreme Court.

I don't go out cruising around "looking for trouble", or looking for opportunities to give an leo a hard time. But I will damn sure make it clear at any time that my rights are not to be infringed.

There are TONS of good leo's out there doing their best to uphold their oaths to protect and serve. There are also a few bad apples out there that are "in it" for all the wrong reasons. Both of those things do indeed coexist in the same reality.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #428  
On the very few instances that I have to interact with an leo, I am ALWAYS polite. ALWAYS.

My post had NOTHING to do with "polite". I believe in defending ALL the rights listed as ours in the Constitution. Not just the 2nd Amendment, but ALL the amendments. Including the right to free speech, and the right to be free from unwarranted search and seizures. It is a violation of the first amendment to arrest someone for being "mouthy". No matter how badly the leo's feelings got hurt, or how bad a day they're having. This has been consistently upheld at federal appeals courts and the US Supreme Court.

I don't go out cruising around "looking for trouble", or looking for opportunities to give an leo a hard time. But I will damn sure make it clear at any time that my rights are not to be infringed.

There are TONS of good leo's out there doing their best to uphold their oaths to protect and serve. There are also a few bad apples out there that are "in it" for all the wrong reasons. Both of those things do indeed coexist in the same reality.
I don't disagree with you at all per what you wrote.

My only poine is if the LEO is a complete areshole, don't escalate the situation, just have them write you up or take you in or whatever, and have your laywer deal with it. After that, you're free to crucify them if the situation at the time warrants it. I can tell you when it comes to guns, I'd guess a majority of LEO's don't even know what their own state laws are.

I had a issue with wearing my seat belt for some time and I ended up paying for it. I was VERY nice to the LEO thanking them for them wanting to protect myself from harm. Believe me, instead of screaming or cursing, if done right, being a smart butt with a smile on your face can be just as effective. Lets face it, if a LEO pulls you over for a seat belt infraction, they're only going on a fishing expidition.

At night laying in bed, sometimes I'll watch "48 hours". I always find it interesting how stupid the people are that the police interview when they bring them down to the police station.