What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,171  
I guess my older GC2310 must have more clearance to begin with, because I've never had an issue with chains and clearance. I spent the bucks for a good set, the kind that have "studs" welded on. I expect they would work very well in the woods -- I've never had mine deep in the puckerbrush, but I have had it in mud/soft dirt and those chains handled it well.

My driveway is paved and where I park the tractor is concrete; I do get small marks on the surfaces from the chains, but not real noticeable and they don't bother me. The real issue is if you manage to get the rear tires to spin with chains on. That will leave some good marks!

View attachment 842491
Maybe the older models had clearance differences then? Mine is a 2012 2400 so maybe old enough its not an issue.

I can weld and I have considered making my own. Maybe I could use different size chain to make them fit better.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,172  
There is only one place on the new models that has tight clearance and that is in the image above. It is part of the frame on near the front of the left wheel where the diff cable and spring are located. I don't know about older models. If the chains were kept tight enough there is likely a small chance of an issue. Like I said, too close for my comfort level and it would not take much slack in the chain to damage the cable or yank it out.

The spacers not only create more clearance, they also make the tractor more stable on my hilly lot, so they server more than one purpose. When your entire property is basically one big hill it's really hard to only go up and down and not go across.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,173  
When I've installed my chains, I've had to be sure the connectors arent sticking out more than an inch or they'll rap against an arm under the left rear. I forgot now what that arm does but it needed straightening out after it hit continuously after a storm.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,174  
Moved "snow" for the first time this year today, got about 10 inches. This was actually the second time having it out this season, but the first time was more like wet concrete than snow. The ground was frozen and I didn't move a lot of stone and lawn this time. By wednesday it's going to be over 40F and it will all be gone and I'll be back to muck. Hoping it freezes back up again before it snows again.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,175  
Yes, hube -- the frozen ground was definitely appreciated! We only got about 8" over here in NH, but I need to go out again this AM to touch up the dusting we got overnight.

It looks like Weather Underground's expecting most of the next storm to be snow around here -- at this point they're saying about 5" of snow followed by a little rain. I think I can live with that.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,176  
got about 1.5" snow yesterday. so I gazed lovingly at tractor/blower and stayed inside :)

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,177  
Moved "snow" for the first time this year today, got about 10 inches. This was actually the second time having it out this season, but the first time was more like wet concrete than snow. The ground was frozen and I didn't move a lot of stone and lawn this time. By wednesday it's going to be over 40F and it will all be gone and I'll be back to muck. Hoping it freezes back up again before it snows again.
We got like 1.5" the other day, slushy stuff. I just cleaned all that off with a push shovel while chatting with my mom on the phone...spent an hour on the phone with mom, so that made her happy!

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,178  
Wow, Dave -- my Army buddy in Leeds said he got almost a foot!

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,179  
yeah southern parts of state got nailed.

gonna be a long week here.
I am in Bangor region weather wise.

first up to 5" cement snow then turning into up to 1.5" rain then 60+mph winds on wednesday 1-10-2024.

then Saturday 1-13-2024 rinse and repeat.

fixed a few portable generators over last 2 weeks. hate working on generators.

anyways my portable has the 25lb propane tank hooked up for easier start in cold ( let it run 5 minutes then turn valve on generator (multi fuel) to run on gas) and any loose items in yard got cement blocks in them.

the 2 power companies in state (versant and central maine power (mine)) already stated there will be power losses.

and repeat on Saturday sigh.

oh yeah, side note, US Army MP (95B MOS) 1986-1989, injured (knee damage, both knees) in Germany (Fliegerhorst Kaserne, Erlensee 61st MP CO) 1988.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,180  
I'm getting lucky, if you can call it that.

Less than an inch expected here before the changeover. May have to deal with spreading salt depending on how much icing I see. Then changing to all rain.

Changes back to snow on Wednesday, but again very little accumulation expected, but also again, might need to deal with ice.

I'm just hoping the ground freezes back up before Friday night when we it changes back to snow and accumulation is expected....

But then Saturday is even more rain and then changing back to snow Sat. night with little accumulation.

I'm not looking forward to the next 4 or 5 days, it's going to be a lovely mess in central NY. Who knows though, I can't trust any weather report more than a day or two out.