What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,161  
Yeah, if I were really smart I'd put the chains on now when it's a bit warmer and not snowing.... but then again, I have a PhD in prcrastination....
Procrastination, world's greatest labor saving developement. Use it all t...

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,162  
Yeah, if I were really smart I'd put the chains on now when it's a bit warmer and not snowing.... but then again, I have a PhD in prcrastination....
I try for a nice weekend. I move so slow now that it takes me 2 days to get ready for winter. 1) Remove and store the mower deck. 2) Put on the FEL 3) Bring the blower down from storage to a location close to the driveway 4) Grease everything up 5) Put on the chains 6) Put on the blower.

As far as needing the chains. If I was dealing with a flat driveway I probably wouldn't need them. It really does depend on the terrain and conditions you have to deal with. If I did not use studded changes there have been times that I would never have gotten up the driveway. I buy 500 pounds of ice melt/salt every year and generally use most of it so that people can walk and drive cars on it. This looks like it's going to be one of those years with the warmer temps. I would prefer it to get cold and stay cold. I hate winters like this one is looking to be.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,163  
OK then there are plenty of people to answer my next questions lol...

What chains are you using? There is a set on amazon for around $95 that I am interested in. I do not want to spend a ton of money.

I have the R4 tires. Although they do better then I thought they would, I would like more traction especially in the woods. Will tire chains show me a significant increase in traction in dirt and mud? When its not mowing, my tractor is a firewood getter.

This is the second winter with the tractor. Last year didn't get enough snow to even bother putting the blade on. Even though its been nothing but mud up to this point (and only mud in the next 10 days), I want to make the purchase worth it by using them for more then just snow.

Finally, how much damage can I expect to my concrete?

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,164  
One thing you also need to be aware of is that you can't really use chains on a GC without adding wheel spacers. I say can't, but if you are okay with the clearance then I guess you can. I was not comfortable with it. I've shared this image before, but it shows the chain clearance without spacers. I added a set of Bro-Tek 2 inch spacers, currenly $190 a set.

If you don't want to spend a lot then you don't want what I have.
I have studded chains 26x12-12 ATV UTV Stud Tire Chains, priced per pair
But like I said, I deal with extremely icy conditions on a hill.

Attachments

• chain-clearance.jpg
    chain-clearance.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 41
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,165  
One thing you also need to be aware of is that you can't really use chains on a GC without adding wheel spacers. I say can't, but if you are okay with the clearance then I guess you can. I was not comfortable with it. I've shared this image before, but it shows the chain clearance without spacers. I added a set of Bro-Tek 2 inch spacers, currenly $190 a set.

If you don't want to spend a lot then you don't want what I have.
I have studded chains 26x12-12 ATV UTV Stud Tire Chains, priced per pair
But like I said, I deal with extremely icy conditions on a hill.
yeah I smacked a diff lock cable once with no spacers, spacers went on soon after that. got lucky only cable damage.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,166  
Are those of you that live in heavy snow areas, and plowing a lot of snow, using chains on your tires?
No chains here, I use the 4wd and locking dif when needed as needed. It works.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,167  
the upper rad hose I noticed chafe mark on few weeks ago started seeping today as I was prepping for upcoming storms. glad I had foresight to purchase hoses.
can't see any leaks now but this unit runs cool, and t-stat never opened after 40 minutes running and both hoses barely warm. the bypass would explain why both hoses same temp.
so I put what I think I lost (prob 20oz) into reservoir and will check it after a few run-cool cycles.
hose change (upper) was 10 minute job.

and heres pics of the switch stuff we spoke of few days ago. pic of 2 switches mounted to side cowl and pic of the 2 fuse holders, one for the 2 switches and one for the battery maintainer.
nothing fancy, VERY easy to get at and repair if needed.

switches-1.jpg

switches-2.jpg

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,168  
I guess my older GC2310 must have more clearance to begin with, because I've never had an issue with chains and clearance. I spent the bucks for a good set, the kind that have "studs" welded on. I expect they would work very well in the woods -- I've never had mine deep in the puckerbrush, but I have had it in mud/soft dirt and those chains handled it well.

My driveway is paved and where I park the tractor is concrete; I do get small marks on the surfaces from the chains, but not real noticeable and they don't bother me. The real issue is if you manage to get the rear tires to spin with chains on. That will leave some good marks!

DSC05515.JPG

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,169  
OK then there are plenty of people to answer my next questions lol...

What chains are you using? There is a set on amazon for around $95 that I am interested in. I do not want to spend a ton of money.

I have the R4 tires. Although they do better then I thought they would, I would like more traction especially in the woods. Will tire chains show me a significant increase in traction in dirt and mud? When its not mowing, my tractor is a firewood getter.

This is the second winter with the tractor. Last year didn't get enough snow to even bother putting the blade on. Even though its been nothing but mud up to this point (and only mud in the next 10 days), I want to make the purchase worth it by using them for more then just snow.

Finally, how much damage can I expect to my concrete?
We get wet heavy Sierra cement here. I have some relatively cheap unstudded chains on all four R4 tires but I don’t recall where I got them. They work well in snow, I have never used them in mud. I’ve used them on my GC1720 for years and never even thought about a clearance problem. I added rear wheel spacers awhile ago for different reasons. Can’t speak for concrete as other than my shop floor I don’t have any and the floor shows no damage.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #2,170  
I recently installed a DIY retaining wall. My GC1710 did some very difficult digging through very hard rocks, hardpan, and boulders. My soil is rocky, compacted, and sucks. In other times I had a professional excavator on the property for my driveway install and he commented about how hard the digging was even with his big machine.

The factory 12" bucket had not chance. Just bounced off the ground. If it could bite I usually ran out of power due to embedded boulders. I switched to a bXpanded 6" trench bucket. Aaaahhh, still a *lot* of work but at least I could make progress.

When I hit the worst of the embedded boulders, I switched to the bXpanded "knife blade" attachment, then dug around the embedded boulders to get them out.

I thought it would take a few days, to dig a 2ft x 100ft trench 12" deep. It wound up more like a week and a half. But my little GC1710 got me to the finish line with a good result!

Never thought of this until now. I almost never put diesel in the tractor since it only sips fuel. But I think I burned the better part of 3 tanks of fuel digging ....