What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,971  
Going to be changing out the hydraulic fluid & filter sometime soon. Keep reading about the suction filter issues with cross threading. Any tips or tricks anyone can pass along before I start? Thanks in advance.
I didn't have any issues when I did mine, but that was 2 years ago. I could be making a mistake by I've decided I'm not gong to change it every year when I only put 60 hours a year on the tractor.

Anyway, the suction filter turned out by hand after loosening it up and then turned in all the way by hand and just needed to tighten in up.

Very curious about the cause. I tried to do a search to find other references but didn't have much luck. The way the threads are only damaged at the one end makes me wonder if the housing isn't tapped properly.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,972  
I didn't have any issues when I did mine, but that was 2 years ago. I could be making a mistake by I've decided I'm not gong to change it every year when I only put 60 hours a year on the tractor.

Anyway, the suction filter turned out by hand after loosening it up and then turned in all the way by hand and just needed to tighten in up.

Very curious about the cause. I tried to do a search to find other references but didn't have much luck. The way the threads are only damaged at the one end makes me wonder if the housing isn't tapped properly.
My man I think you may be right about that there. Cross threading would have damaged the whole length of the thread. The way the first few threads were crushed and fairly easily peeled off with pliers points to an id thread runout. What's curious is that I don't remember seeing this the first time I took out that filter a couple years ago, possible I just didn't notice it then.

Tibadoe, if this is your first time doing the hydro oil change, I'd say it's a good idea to remove that filter just to see if there's anything in there. This is my second time doing it, plus the previous owner having his done at 50 hrs. Both times I did it, I found hardly anything on there. I'm now siding with the other guys here that it's not worth removing it with every hydro oil change.

As for tips, one I have is that there are 5 parts to this whole thing, the suction filter itself, the suction pipe, and transaxle the suction filter screws into, and 2 seals. The suction pipe is sandwiched against the transaxle housing when you screw in the filter. So looking at the diagram here, when you remove the filter (1), the suction pipe (2) might separate from the transaxle in the process, in which case be careful not to lose that seal there (3, on the left side of the suction pipe) which sits there between the suction pipe and the transaxle housing (not shown on diagram).

Screenshot 2023-06-20 114342.png

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,974  
What's curious is that I don't remember seeing this the first time I took out that filter a couple years ago, possible I just didn't notice it then.
The other possibility that I can think of is that there was a fair-sized bit of debris laying between the threads in the housing when someone put it back in.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,975  
I'm due to do mine very soon. yay.....between all the gc series I've maintained i've 9 times or so. hope #10 aint the deal breaker.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,976  
I'm due to do mine very soon. yay.....between all the gc series I've maintained i've 9 times or so. hope #10 aint the deal breaker.

It was the sixth time that got me……lol

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,977  
The other possibility that I can think of is that there was a fair-sized bit of debris laying between the threads in the housing when someone put it back in.

This is what I’m thinking my issue was.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,978  
Given what's been said, the advice/tips I would give is on the suction filter are

1) Stick your finger in the hole and try to make sure there's no debris in the threads

2) Do not force it. You should be able to turn it in until snug with just the socket and your hand and only need a wrench or ratchet to tighten it up. If you get any resistance repeat tip #1

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,980  
1) Stick your finger in the hole and try to make sure there's no debris in the threads
ummm... yeah....
thats damned good advice for any male...
ok I digress...