What has happened to my window!?

/ What has happened to my window!? #1  

jmurray01

Veteran Member
Tractor
I did have a pedal John Deere once...
I woke up this morning to find THIS!

What in God's name could have caused it ? It was fine when I came down for the toilet at midnight, but now, at 6AM, it is shattered.

Attachments

• DSCI0010.jpg
    DSCI0010.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 525
   / What has happened to my window!? #2  
Re: What the **** has happened to my window!?

Tempered glass... It has stress built-in to cause the glass to shatter into small pieces instead of splintering into dangerous swords. Car windows have the same stuff. sometimes temperature changes can cause the glass to shatter... as well as a pebble thrown with enough velocity.

/ What has happened to my window!?

Yep, I guessed it would be temperature fluctuations.

The problem is that the living room is warm and the hall way is very cold, so with the door closed (as it was when I came down) the two extremes of temperatures were hitting the opposite sides of the glass, causing one side to contract and one to expand, which isn't going end well.

/ What has happened to my window!? #4  

I wouldn't think temperature would be that much of a factor. Got some questions:

How old is the door and window?

What material is the door made of?

Is it an interior door, not exposed to the weather?

Is it hung properly, meaning square and level?

Does it bind in the frame?

Are those glass panes etched or simply painted?

Did the wind or somebody recently slam the door closed?

Is it double pane or single pane glass?

/ What has happened to my window!? #5  
I think I have seen this before ....... In a horror movie....... It's a trap........to lure you to door........,,,don't turn around........don't do it.......don't look..........AWWWW, YOU LOOKED AND IT'S BEHIND YOU !!!!!!!!!

Jamie? Jamie? Hello? Where are you? Jamie?

/ What has happened to my window!? #6  

If it's a newer house and the door is a tight fit in the frame, some settling of the house can do it. So can an impact from a stone or BB gun. I'd go with an impact first and settleing second but either is my bet.

/ What has happened to my window!? #7  

low flying bird strike.

I think I have seen this before ....... In a horror movie....... It's a trap........to lure you to door........,,,don't turn around........don't do it.......don't look..........AWWWW, YOU LOOKED AND IT'S BEHIND YOU !!!!!!!!!

Jamie? Jamie? Hello? Where are you? Jamie?
:laughing: Luckily I had a lamp to hand so I managed to whack the baddie on the head and survived. Phew!

But now I think he's gone and he's actually hiding behind the shower curtain ready to attack me when I go to the toilet... :shocked:

I wouldn't think temperature would be that much of a factor. Got some questions:

How old is the door and window?

What material is the door made of?

Is it an interior door, not exposed to the weather?

Is it hung properly, meaning square and level?

Does it bind in the frame?

Are those glass panes etched or simply painted?

Did the wind or somebody recently slam the door closed?

Is it double pane or single pane glass?
- I don't know for sure, but think the door and window are only a few years old at most
- It is made of wood
- It is hung properly
- Yes the glass was/is nice and tight
- It isn't etched, it has a strange rough "paint" if you could call it that on it
- Nope it hasn't been slammed recently and between the time of it being OK and being shattered it wasn't even shut.
- It is single pane.

/ What has happened to my window!? #10  
Last two times I've seen that happen it was from the lawn mower. I now have a mulching deck!