What farm task do kids today know nothing about.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #131  
I actually liked our chickens...with noodles or dumplings, and sometimes fried. We had one old White Leghorn rooster, though, that used to flog the crap out of me. Jump on the back of my neck and flog away...until one day I beat the crap out of him with little fishing rod.

You got to let them know who really rules the roost...:thumbsup:

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #132  
Right on! He ended up in the noodles!

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #133  
I really hated having to catch and harness all the chickens for plowing.

Bruce
How big of plow did you pull with those chickens? Did they flap their buffalo wings to get extra power or was it all leghorn?

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #134  
ken
exbuckeye- my neighbor raised chickens back in ohio in the sixtys and nothing like today. they were fed by hand. well the feeders were filled by hand and if I wanted my bud to go hunting with me I helped him feed a couple thousand birds. his biggest house held 20,000 and they had 40,000 total -every 11 weeks back then.

my buds first job was butchering chickens in a local place. he never ate chicken ever.

I am on the ridge a long way form chicken country.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #135  
Everyone should be made to butcher the meat they eat. Would be a good thing to teach in schools. Call it a course in reality.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #136  

What farm task do kids today know nothing about.

The chances are very good they do not know about tasks which they do not do!

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #137  
ken
exbuckeye- my neighbor raised chickens back in ohio in the sixtys and nothing like today. they were fed by hand. well the feeders were filled by hand and if I wanted my bud to go hunting with me I helped him feed a couple thousand birds. his biggest house held 20,000 and they had 40,000 total -every 11 weeks back then.

my buds first job was butchering chickens in a local place. he never ate chicken ever.

I am on the ridge a long way form chicken country.

R Porter Glad you made the decision to live in the State lots of history and great people a few old and cranky types . Usually wishing for something they can't achieve.

se'ya kenh

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #138  
I bet there aren't a dozen teenagers today that have ever had to sit on the ground in honeysuckles during a snowstorm and take care of baby pigs as the sow has them. Take a towel and wipe them off then use a pair of wire cutters and clip the tusks out of their mouths. Inspect the piglet and put it on a nipple. Sow starts grunting real fast and another pops out.

A few weeks later I would have to jump into a pen and catch the little boars and hold them while dad cut them. All the time the sow was trying to tear the stables apart to get to her babies.

Fun times that I do not miss.

RSKY

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about.
We raised hogs, but always started at the piglet stage and ended at the sausage stage.