What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck?
Here's some pics when I first looked at the truck. It's in a shop now having work done.
EDIT--The original owner's manuals and tire warranty booklet was in the glove box.

View attachment 863549 View attachment 863551 View attachment 863550 View attachment 863606 View attachment 863607
The above are early posts of the '97 Ford SuperDuty 7.3 diesel I bought that should be out of the shop any day now. I feel like a schoolboy watching the clock before summer recess. Rear brakes and hoses, lines, exhaust, belts and batteries. Just a surge off the line but being fixed.

I've had limited time with the truck so far but let me say how thrilling a diesel pickup is. Especially pre-emission. I never hauled much so diesel P/U's escaped me. It should't have and if I could buy a new pre-emission RAM today, I would buy it.

If you own a diesel P/U, you understand, but if you never have`and stumble into a good one for sale, buy it. Spend $$ to make it first class and then have a blast. There are few things as thrilling as a diesel P/U in the summer. If you don't have one, ask others for a ride. Only family will let you drive so don't even ask. Oh, you can also haul most anything you want.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #423  
The above are early posts of the '97 Ford SuperDuty 7.3 diesel I bought that should be out of the shop any day now. I feel like a schoolboy watching the clock before summer recess. Rear brakes and hoses, lines, exhaust, belts and batteries. Just a surge off the line but being fixed.

I've had limited time with the truck so far but let me say how thrilling a diesel pickup is. Especially pre-emission. I never hauled much so diesel P/U's escaped me. It should't have and if I could buy a new pre-emission RAM today, I would buy it.

If you own a diesel P/U, you understand, but if you never have`and stumble into a good one for sale, buy it. Spend $$ to make it first class and then have a blast. There are few things as thrilling as a diesel P/U in the summer. If you don't have one, ask others for a ride. Only family will let you drive so don't even ask. Oh, you can also haul most anything you want.

You make me want to make financial decisions that will displease the wife; like buying a 20 year old diesel pickup.

It's awesome to see you so thrilled with the truck.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #424  
I have a 1999.5 Ford F350 4 door dually, 7.3 turbo diesel,bulletproof manual 6 speed transmission, Dana 80 axles with rear trac-lock. Bought it when it was only 2 years old. Havn't looked recently but its only got around 160,000 miles on it. Did most of the needed upgrades- 4" exhaust, lifted front end to level the truck, air bags and Class 5 tow hitch. chipped for towing and mileage. All Amsoil fluids. Running empty with a canopy on it at just under 70 it's best mileage was 19 mpg.

Family of 4 used it for many camping trips pulling a boat- 11.5' camper or 5th wheel.
Kids are gone, boat and campers are gone, both of us retired. Now the truck mostly sits. Maybe a run to fill the diesel tank, move the tractor or mini excavator to our property 10 miles away.
It's time to downsize a bit. I need a automatic (Knee issues coming up). Shorter (2 doors less) still diesel and still trac-lock to pull the excavator up the driveway.

Really hate to give up the truck and tough to find a replacement.

You make me want to make financial decisions that will displease the wife; like buying a 20 year old diesel pickup.

It's awesome to see you so thrilled with the truck.
Thank you; I am 100% thrilled.
I'll bet you make excellent financial decisions that benefit her greatly. Why would a truck decision be any different? My wife knows her refrigerator didn't just grow on tress--I made it happen.

Here's a secret with buying things not always feminine approved...make her a partner in the event. When I drag home stuff, and there have been many dozens of things, we might go out to dinner or do something special to celebrate. We might have "Truck Tuesday" every now and then with a great take-out lunch I pick up, a local made Amish cake and a gift card with a $50 or $100 bill tucked inside. See where I'm going with this?

I might send pics of the party atmosphere event to the daughters and then everyone has skin in the game. They eagerly await my next purchase.

Last edited:
I have a 1999.5 Ford F350 4 door dually, 7.3 turbo diesel,bulletproof manual 6 speed transmission, Dana 80 axles with rear trac-lock. Bought it when it was only 2 years old. Havn't looked recently but its only got around 160,000 miles on it. Did most of the needed upgrades- 4" exhaust, lifted front end to level the truck, air bags and Class 5 tow hitch. chipped for towing and mileage. All Amsoil fluids. Running empty with a canopy on it at just under 70 it's best mileage was 19 mpg.

Family of 4 used it for many camping trips pulling a boat- 11.5' camper or 5th wheel.
Kids are gone, boat and campers are gone, both of us retired. Now the truck mostly sits. Maybe a run to fill the diesel tank, move the tractor or mini excavator to our property 10 miles away.
It's time to downsize a bit. I need a automatic (Knee issues coming up). Shorter (2 doors less) still diesel and still trac-lock to pull the excavator up the driveway.

Really hate to give up the truck and tough to find a replacement.
It sounds wonderful. Any pictures of it?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #427  
Some pictures of my 1996 F350. It has about 18500 miles on it. I just bought a 2000 F350 dually in Arizona. It needed a paint job because of the Arizona sun and I am just getting it out of the shop.
IMG_6053.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG
IMG_5162 (2).JPG

/ What do you drive for a truck? #429  
Those are nice trucks, LOVE the silver over blue paint scheme, but there is definitely a trade off with lets say a 5 year old diesel truck.

They have 1/2 the power, 1/2-2/3rd the tow ratings, 1/2 the creature comforts, and possibly more rust, BUT they are less than 1/2 the price :)

/ What do you drive for a truck? #430  
Ditto here. Thank you for passing it on.

I could be mistaken (again), but until a year or so ago was under the impression that the package included lockers on both ends. I was thinking about upgrading strictly for that function, but found that is no longer the case.
I have had a few Z71 and none of them had any lockers, at least not switched lockers, I know my 2wd, non Z71, would lock the rear of I put it in low gear