What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil?

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #31  
I wouldn’t think fuel oil ever spoils as long as there’s not water in it
You're probably right but I can't find anyone who wants it and has the capacity to take it... without causing a major oil spill.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #32  
I burn all mine have a 40x65 shop with a waste oil heater and 500 gallon tank to store it. Nice to have “free” heat all winter. Burns hydraulic, motor oil, gear, etc.

Most people around here with larger quantities just post it on FB or Craigslist for free so they don’t have to haul it to the store and it goes quick.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #33  
You're probably right but I can't find anyone who wants it and has the capacity to take it... without causing a major oil spill.

That scenario is how I fueled my tractor and mower for a couple of years maybe 10 years ago. A friend of a friend wanted his tank emptied, so I pumped it out of his basement tank and into 55g drums. I filtered it while pumping out, as well as when going into my tractor. Unfortunately I screwed up pumping the last 10-20 gallons into my zd mower and got water into it.

I didn't spill a drop, but I wouldn't want just anyone pumping fuel out of my basement.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #34  
That scenario is how I fueled my tractor and mower for a couple of years maybe 10 years ago. A friend of a friend wanted his tank emptied, so I pumped it out of his basement tank and into 55g drums. I filtered it while pumping out, as well as when going into my tractor. Unfortunately I screwed up pumping the last 10-20 gallons into my zd mower and got water into it.

I didn't spill a drop, but I wouldn't want just anyone pumping fuel out of my basement.
Are you saying you burned it in your tractor and ZTR as a fuel?

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #35  
Are you saying you burned it in your tractor and ZTR as a fuel?

Absolutely. Both were designed for 500ppm sulfur fuel, pre emissions.
The topic went from waste motor oil to home heating oil if you missed the detour.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil?
Heavily agree.
I'm not happy with it myself. I don't mind driving a reasonable distance to recycle but here in rural northeast PA, NO ONE will take it! I know people around here that dig a hole and dump it but I refuse to go that route.

Last edited:
   / What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #37  
There is a little known law in my state that says if a business sells motor or hydraulic oil, they must also accept used oil for recycling. The law is never enforced.

My tractors generate around 15 gallons of motor & hydraulic oil per year. When I bring the used stuff to the place where I bought the new oil and ask them to take it, they look at me like I had two heads. No one will accept it. Sure, I use some for lubing machinery but there is always a whole lot left over.

Years ago, when I bought my first tractor, the dealer heated his building with waste oil. He had a tank beside the building where customers could leave their used oil. He eventually had to take it out because people were dumping all sorts of crap in it. Used anti freeze was the biggest problem since it caused damage to his burner.

When I worked for the local telephone company, I made friends with the truck mechanic. He let me dump my oil in his recycle tank which was collected monthly by a recycling company.

Now that I'm retired and have several tractors, the problem is worse than ever. I'm storing my used oil in an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank but it's almost full.

Considering the cost of new oil these days, there must be a market for the used stuff. I don't generate enough to warrant spending big bucks on a waste oil heater. I'm curious what others here do with their used tractor oil??

I take mine to Autozone (when their tank is not full). The waste oil market is a racket. I'm sure these disposal sites pay for the bulk waste oil to be picked up and these oil re-refiners (such as Safety-Kleen) will turn it around for a profit once it's gone through their refinery process.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #38  
Hmm, our dealership accepts waste oil from the public for our waste oil heater, but there is no public receptacle (it must be dumped by an employee during normal business hours).

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #39  
I keep 15 one gallon oil jugs and bring them in. Sometimes they only let me dump like 5 gallons at a time so that idea didn't really work out. One of my dumb ideas that doesn't make sense.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #40  
I'm not happy with it myself. I don't mind driving a reasonable distance to recycle but here in rural northeast PA, NO ONE will take it! I know people around here that dig a hole and dump it but I refuse to go that route.
Down here in the SE corner of PA (ABE area), the TSC stores will take it. They have an outside tank where you set the containers, then go inside and let them know. Every once in a while I have to sign a form and let them know how much. They complain if it's over five gallons.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

LOT OF ASSORTED TIRES... (A34808)
LOT OF ASSORTED...
Unverferth HT3600 Head Cart (A33028)
Unverferth HT3600...
1977 CHEVY C65 S/A DIGGER TRUCK, S/N CCE677V103270, V8 GAS ENG, 4X2 TRANS, OD READS 17277 MILES, (A34808)
1977 CHEVY C65 S/A...
(8) FUEL CONTAINERS & (1) 35 GALLON POLY TANK... (A34808)
(8) FUEL...
2005 Ford F-550 4x4 Flatbed Truck (A33249)
2005 Ford F-550...
2007 Kenworth T800 T/A Sleeper Truck Tractor (A32932)
2007 Kenworth T800...