What Do You Do For Exercise?

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #131  
When I meet my spouse, she was working in a cardiac rehab unit. So her patients had all had stents, open heart surgery or something like that. That they had in common was they universally said "I work SO hard", I'm already getting a good workout. So she had to train them that being tired and operating some machine, was not that they think it was, it was not pumping there cardiovascular system and they had a heart attack. So mowing the yard or operating some machine, is not giving you that good workout you imaged it is.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise?
When I meet my spouse, she was working in a cardiac rehab unit. So her patients had all had stents, open heart surgery or something like that. That they had in common was they universally said "I work SO hard", I'm already getting a good workout. So she had to train them that being tired and operating some machine, was not that they think it was, it was not pumping there cardiovascular system and they had a heart attack. So mowing the yard or operating some machine, is not giving you that good workout you imaged it is.
My late father in law used to mow his 1/3 acre lawn with a self propelled mower.... it didn't go fast enough, so he'd put it in neutral and push it.

He did that

Every.

Other.

Day.

Until he was 91! :oops:

He was a beast! And I miss him. :)

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #133  
I’m guessing the sickle bar mower post above is a push one, so it probably takes some effort to muscle it around.

Also, I have a BCS tractor that I do a lot of sickle bar mowing with and that gives me a very good workout!
Perhaps you might want to post a picture of that for the folks that don't know what it looks like and why it would give you a workout...

;)

My dad had an old Craftsman 2 wheel tractor, so I understand you comments. :)

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #135  
When I was working construction I noticed that now and then a strong looking fella would show up wanting to work on our crew and, as we would work through the day he would usually run out of gas well before the day was out. Most of us were of average build but hardened up to work. That has to mean something

When I was working construction I noticed that now and then a strong looking fella would show up wanting to work on our crew and, as we would work through the day he would usually run out of gas well before the day was out. Most of us were of average build but hardened up to work. That has to mean something
Yeah, there's brute force and then there's endurance. If I had my druthers, I'd pick endurance. Father in-law was never over 170, usually 155. Energizer bunny.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #137  
Years ago I got a Fitbit and started walking 5,000 steps a day. Then I decided I would try to do 10,000 but it took some thinking on HOW to get that many steps which was actually really simple. I had always parked a distance from the building so that helped the step count, but to get more steps, instead of walking directly to my assigned spot, I would weave through the complex when arriving and leaving work. Did not take much time to do the extra walk but it really increase the steps. I would also walk at lunch. When a bathroom break was needed, I would not go to the closest bathroom but one that required a long walk.

Turned out it was easy to get 10,000 steps. The I decided to walk 20,000 steps a day, mainly to loose weight and this really took some effort but in the end it was not that hard. It was pretty simple. When watching TV, get up and start walking, often just in place but sometimes I will circle around to break it up. Then one day, as a kind of a joke, I said I am going to run in place to get more steps faster. Well, it was a joke, but I started doing that as well, since it broke things up, got steps faster, and increased the heart rate.

I also started trying Intermittent Fasting. I was loosing a bit of weight with the steps but weight would still go up and down. Part of this was drinking beer which I will get back too in a bit. The problem I had with Intermittent Fasting was the fasting time. Intermittent fasting just means one does not eat for a certain number of hours, usually 12, 14, or 16. I would prioritize getting 20,000 steps, which meant I would eat later than I wanted too, which would push out when I could eat next, so I would not get a decent number of fasting hours. For me to loose weight, I really need a 16 hour fast. It took a year or so to figure this all out.

Eventually, I gave up on doing 20,000 steps and now aim for 10,000, and usually get around 12,000-13,000, with some days getting up to 20,000. I aim to eat no later than 8:00pm and thus I can get a 16 hour fast by noon the next day. This has really helped to loose weight, IF I DON'T drink alcohol beer.

Decades ago, I noticed that beer, like many drinks, has too many calories which increases your weight or makes it harder to loose weight. Basically a can of beer or soda, which I don't drink, is a mile worth of calories. I started to drink carbonated water most of the week and this would help me loose weight. Course, eventually, I would go back to drink beer and the weight would come back.... :eek:

A family member recommended non alcohol beer, which is pretty danged good, and lower in calories. No calorie free but lower. Heineken 0 is pretty good and there is even a Guinness non alcohol beer. I can tell the difference between the alcohol and non alcohol versions, but it is very slight. This has helped me loose weight but still enjoy a beer.

I do a bit of weight lifting, and there is work around the place that gets done, but doing steps is easy to do and I do it each and every day. I have tried to go gyms but that is just sooooo boring and it takes time to get to/from the gym. Not to mention the expense. The gyms I have used were part of a health care system so there were people doing rehab. It is a motivator when seeing people with the big Y scar on their chest.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #138  
I know my phone tracks my steps. Any comments on how accurate that is or a Fitbit is? Sometimes it seems like my phone is counting to many steps but I don’t know.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #139  
I know my phone tracks my steps. Any comments on how accurate that is or a Fitbit is? Sometimes it seems like my phone is counting to many steps but I don’t know.
I can't comment about the phone but I have tested the Fibit and it is accurate.

We do step challenges at work where many, many people post their steps each day for a month or two. Some people will have very high step counts and I question the number. One guy admitted he was using a GPS based tracker that "counted" his steps. Meaning the steps were calculated not actually counted. He took a plane trip and had a huge number of steps one day. :eek: 😁

The Fitbit I have, which is one of the cheap ones, is accurate because I tested it several times, and still do from time to time.

You can test the phone by setting a timer for one to five minutes and then just count you steps and see if your number matches the phone. I once had a pedometer and it was pretty accurate. My old "dumb" phone had a step counter or distance tracker built in, and it seemed to be accurate, but I was not tracking steps each day nor did I tested it. It just seem accurate based on the known distance and time I was walking. It was so long ago I can't remember if the phone tracked steps or just distance. Thinking about it, the phone must have counted steps and then calculated distance, since the phone did not have GPS.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #140  
My fit bit is pretty accurate with steps, heart rate and activity. Seemed much more so then the when I had a galaxy watch. I haven't had any experience with Apple products, so I can't speak on that one.

Here's a screen shot from this weekend after a day cutting trees.

Screenshot_20230510_111222.jpg