What do YOU do about territorial Robins??

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
We have a balcony/staircase outside our master bedroom. The railing is a handy perch, and both last year and this (we moved in last April) we have had a Robin attacking the sliding glass door next to the railing.

Last year I put gobs of painters' tape on the window, which worked but was super ugly! BTW - we do have a screen, and that works fine for the one panel.

This year I decided I would make "bird deterrent spikes". My plan was to drive screws through a thin board and put it on the railing. I ended up just starting the screws in, figuring that even the blunt end of the screws, spaced about 2" apart would deter the lovesick bird.
2019-04-29 15.29.13.jpg

And, it's worked marvelously so far (about 1 week in).

However, when I posted on FaceBook someone told me I should get "bird deterrent decals". A quick search on Amazon revealed such. However, by the description it sounds more like they are intended to keep birds from thinking the glass is not there. Not to keep them from seeing their reflection and attacking the "intruder".
https://smile.amazon.com/Window-Cli...6&s=gateway&sprefix=bird+decal,aps,143&sr=8-6

Thoughts?

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #2  
I think what I occasionally see here is birds thinking the big windows are open holes. They will fly, full bore, right into the glass. Most will fall to the ground - dead from the impact. I'll get half a dozen or so of these situations every summer. If a robin or any other bird gets to uppity - one of the local Red Tailed Hawks will straighten them out - right pronto.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #3  
Is this a seasonal Spring Mating Season occurrence or a constant thing for as long as your N.A. robins (a type of thrush) are around?

It's not a problem with my robins (flame or scarlet), but the male fairy wrens will peck themselves stupid on the side mirrors of my ute... especially the driver's side mirror! Anything reflective that they think is another male challenging them. :laughing:

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #4  
:laughing:Just make sure you do not shoot low, even bird shot at close range will tear up your railing.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #5  
Is this a seasonal Spring Mating Season occurrence or a constant thing for as long as your N.A. robins (a type of thrush) are around?

It's not a problem with my robins (flame or scarlet), but the male fairy wrens will peck themselves stupid on the side mirrors of my ute... especially the driver's side mirror! Anything reflective that they think is another male challenging them. :laughing:

We use to place plastic grocery bags over our truck mirrors to keep the cardinals off. I didnt mind them beating their brains out on the mirror but I did mind all the bird crap on the truck.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #6  
Every few years I have woodpeckers pounding on my office/shop. Found hanging CDs on a short string from the eves and porch keeps them away. The motion and random light flashes keeps them away.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #7  
I have a piece of sheet metal sitting in the yard I just recently stripped off an item I was scrapping. One side is almost as shiney as a mirror. One day I heard something odd, then saw a Cardinal flying away. I heard it again later and watched a bit. Seems Eric The Red was attacking another Cardinal in the metal box, not apparently knowing ....

Sometimes birds ain't too bright.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #8  
I will occasionally catch an old Tom turkey attacking his reflection in the bumper of my truck.

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #9  
Every few years I have woodpeckers pounding on my office/shop. Found hanging CDs on a short string from the eves and porch keeps them away. The motion and random light flashes keeps them away.
Playing some of the CD recordings of the "music" ? recorded today would keep them from ever coming back. :laughing:

/ What do YOU do about territorial Robins?? #10  
I made my own hawk shapes for a window where a male robin was attacking his reflection. It didn't work.

The best thing is to get rid of the reflection. If you can keep the robin from coming around and seeing the reflection that works too but I think they have some memory and will come back to the place where they saw the "intruder".