What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess.

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #1  

ImperialStout

Tractor
Kubota B1750 with 4wd/loader/HST
Hey y'all, I've been occasionally a lurker in the past, decided to go ahead and sign up.

I grew up around my grandpa's old Ford 8N and later a Ford 3600, but didn't get a tractor of my own until about 2 years ago (Kubota B1750 4wd/HST with loader). Bought it for some landscape work and misc tasks on my 1 acre residential lot in GA but am branching out... I recently bought some acreage in western NC that will need occasional maintenance. I've been away from the dirt for too long (left my rural upbringing for a big city career), so I'm trying to eventually find my way back to the woods and remember the things I've forgotten and hopefully learn something new along the way.

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #2  
Welcome aboard. Just driving to the airport gives me the shakes, can't imagine working there. Enjoy, how many acres did you get?

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess.
You get used to Atlanta eventually, but you never completely get used to it... if that makes sense. It never ceases to baffle me the stupidity I see on the roads.

The WNC land is still survey pending (surveyors are backed up for months... did not make it by closing). I expect to see it come out to about 15-20 acres total. We walked the lot and liked what we saw (combined with GIS data), so the exact number is not critical.

It's probably about 30%-40% cleared and there's about a half mile of gravel driveway in place. It has been used for growing Christmas trees in the past.

Short term plan... drill a well, put in a septic tank, and hook up a power meter / RV outlet. Drag the camper up with the family and have fun playing in the creek. Basically a campground without it being a campground. Let the kids run amok. Give them a taste of how I grew up.

Long term... stick a house on the lot and retire. Plant a garden. Get some chickens and maybe other critters. Maybe also plant a few Christmas trees?

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #4  
The WNC land is still survey pending (surveyors are backed up for months... did not make it by closing). I expect to see it come out to 15-20 acres total.

Welcome to T-B-N. Your WNC land is just right for a Kubota MX.

LINK: Tractors - Utility - MX Series | Kubota

Last edited:
   / What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #5  
Thanks for joining! Happy to have you as a member. :)

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #6  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

The WNC land is still survey pending (surveyors are backed up for months... did not make it by closing). I expect to see it come out to 15-20 acres total.

Welcome to T-B-N. Your WNC land is just right for a Kubota MX.

LINK: Tractors - Utility - MX Series | Kubota
Without context, one might think so... but of that 15-20 acres, only 30-40 percent is cleared (in the form of two patches of a few acres each) and the balance of the acreage is mostly unusably steep as most of WNC is. The lower patch is split by a creek, a potential site for barn/workshop/RV, and a nice shade tree. The upper patch is where I'd like to eventually build a house.

If I was starting from scratch, I suspect I'd be looking at one of the bigger B series or smaller L series. But since I have the old B1750, I'll keep it as long as is practical... and given that I have collected an assortment of implements for it, if it ever needs replaced I'd probably look at a small B-series or similar.

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for joining! Happy to have you as a member. :)

G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

Thanks y'all!

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #8  
What good is buying a tract of land if you can't buy a new tractor to go with it? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What good is buying a tract of land if you can't buy a new tractor to go with it? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Between actually buying the land and all the expenses that incurs, the future expenses of septic/well, needing a bigger trailer to actually haul the tractor and attachments up there, and all else that keeps popping up in life, I'm too broke for a new tractor.

/ What do Metro ATL and western NC have in common? Me, I guess. #10  
Welcome! My wife and I live full time in the Western NC mountains now at 4400’. We used to vacation here while we lived on the west coast in FL. We love the mountains; a great place for us to retire. We have about 20 acres here; in 3 parcels all in the same community. Not much flat land. One of our neighbors lives in Lawrenceville, but spends half his time here now. He trailers his BX back and forth.

Jack