What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #371  
I wonder how much power a 24" sickle bar mower would need? I don't know if anyone makes one that small. seems like I recall a DR trimmer that was a walk behind 36" SB mower.
I suspect the main problem would be finding one and what it would cost since small sickle bar mowers aren't common anymore. Maybe you could find a way to combine two hedge trimmers. That would get the cutting width up to about 30-32".

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
I suspect the main problem would be finding one and what it would cost since small sickle bar mowers aren't common anymore. Maybe you could find a way to combine two hedge trimmers. That would get the cutting width up to about 30-32".
This is getting interesting. Lots of ideas are popping up, and sooner or later we may see a workable plan. BTW everytime I try to get on this site today, I have computer issues, a virus warning. Anyone else have this issue?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #373  
Maybe a small hyd motor could replace the 2cycle powerhead.
Don't forget that these small minis have only one hyd pump, so using hydraulic power is not practical unless you get a second pump or a flow divider.

Using a gas-powered (or electric) power head is a way around that limitation.

Don't forget that these small minis have only one hyd pump, so using hydraulic power is not practical unless you get a second pump or a flow divider.

Using a gas-powered (or electric) power head is a way around that limitation.
I really want to find a way to use the mini to help with removing all the nasty sticker bushes that creep out on the trails. I need to accept the fact that my mini doesn't have the hydraulic capabilities to power it. So, I think I should start with the basics and see if it would be as useful as I think. Maybe I will find that it's NOT the miracle I hope it will be.

I think when the weather permits, I will start with most basic idea and see what happens. I will take one of my push mowers, remove the handles, and attach some chain and hang it on the bucket. When I get to the trail and try it, I will have a lot more insight on the feasibility of making a brush-cutter. I don't want to throw money and time at a bad idea. Testing the ideas at the most basic level, often saves me a lot in the long run.

I was surprised to see Pappajunk go to all the trouble of fabbing the deck for his brush-cutter, he did a great job IMO, and I hope it works for him. I think his mini is the same basic engine and hydraulic setup as mine, so he will be limited just like us.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #375  
I was also surprised Pappajunk didn't start with a junk mower deck. What he has built so far is pretty impressive fabrication. Since he is using a mower spindle with a belt drive pulley, maybe he can substitute a gas engine if the hydraulics aren't powerful enough?

If the sticker bushes are multiflora rose, a lot depends on how thick the stems have become. Using an attachment capable power trimmer head would allow you to easily change between a steel circular brush cutter, a hedge trimmer and a pole chainsaw style cutter.

A potential issue with a regular mower deck is hitting a large enough stem could shear the shear key in the mower engine. Having a belt drive system like used in one of the walk behind trimmers might help take up the shock and avoid this to some degree.

As for what kind of gas engine that can handle operation on a slope, the 2 hp Honda GX50 is a small four stroke that is 360 degree inclinable. Honda Engines | GX50 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info

I was also surprised Pappajunk didn't start with a junk mower deck. What he has built so far is pretty impressive fabrication. Since he is using a mower spindle with a belt drive pulley, maybe he can substitute a gas engine if the hydraulics aren't powerful enough?

If the sticker bushes are multiflora rose, a lot depends on how thick the stems have become. Using an attachment capable power trimmer head would allow you to easily change between a steel circular brush cutter, a hedge trimmer and a pole chainsaw style cutter.

A potential issue with a regular mower deck is hitting a large enough stem could shear the shear key in the mower engine. Having a belt drive system like used in one of the walk behind trimmers might help take up the shock and avoid this to some degree.

As for what kind of gas engine that can handle operation on a slope, the 2 hp Honda GX50 is a small four stroke that is 360 degree inclinable. Honda Engines | GX50 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info
I have a Honda 4 stroke mini on a mini-tiller. Its a great engine and I forgot I have it. The gearcase wore out and I quit using it a long time ago. Your correct, it would be good donor for the project if I decide to continue after the initial trial.

Yes, the multiflora rose is what I would hope to eradicate with a brush cutter. I am now seeing the benefits of your idea of a mounted power head and different attachments. Lots to think about. I suspect that Trial and Error will definitely be key in making something that works.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #377  
Let us know what happens with the leak on the track motor. I hope it's something simple. You have certainly had your share of problems with it. But, you have also found some creative ways to get more use out of it.
Will do! Ya it started out being a nightmare but after a lot of work I am getting the feel of it. Still gotta fix the teeth so they quit bending every time I dig with it. I still like the L-12 WAY better than the H-12, qsr-12, etc as you cant get to anything on them!
On the L-12 the hood raises up and most of the stuff is right there.
I also want to install my variable flow control valve on it to slow the thing down so it wont be so jerky. Motor runnin just above idle and it will throw you off the seat on the swing . Cant feather the handles enough to do any good,-- its either go full bore or stop.
I dont regret buying it now that I have used it. Blade extension is also on the list. Got that figured out and plate is on order for that.

Attachments

• 20231112_114512.jpg
    20231112_114512.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231111_122417.jpg
    20231111_122417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20231112_114447.jpg
    20231112_114447.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
Will do! Ya it started out being a nightmare but after a lot of work I am getting the feel of it. Still gotta fix the teeth so they quit bending every time I dig with it. I still like the L-12 WAY better than the H-12, qsr-12, etc as you cant get to anything on them!
On the L-12 the hood raises up and most of the stuff is right there.
I also want to install my variable flow control valve on it to slow the thing down so it wont be so jerky. Motor runnin just above idle and it will throw you off the seat on the swing . Cant feather the handles enough to do any good,-- its either go full bore or stop.
I dont regret buying it now that I have used it. Blade extension is also on the list. Got that figured out and plate is on order for that.
Nice pics. Your L12 still looks great. Maybe when you have an xtra minute, you could get a measurement between the wheel motors for me. I am going to measure mine as well. I think this is a weak area as I have seen a few that have bent. you have less hours than I do, so if yours are the same as mine then I will know mine are not bending yet. I don't want to install a reinforcement until I confirm that it's all straight. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #379  
I have a Honda 4 stroke mini on a mini-tiller. Its a great engine and I forgot I have it. The gearcase wore out and I quit using it a long time ago. Your correct, it would be good donor for the project if I decide to continue after the initial trial.

Yes, the multiflora rose is what I would hope to eradicate with a brush cutter. I am now seeing the benefits of your idea of a mounted power head and different attachments. Lots to think about. I suspect that Trial and Error will definitely be key in making something that works.
It turns out that the trimmer shaft will fit inside 1 1/4 square tube. It would be easy to drill a flat piece of stock to correspond to the collar that holds the attachment shaft on the power head shaft and then weld it in place on the square tube to hold the trimmer and attachment in place. Then weld or bolt the square tube to the bucket. The attachment would stick out about 30" from the side. Don't know if that would cause clearance issues with the house on the minix? Also, not sure if I'd mount it to stick out frontwards from the boom or sideways?

attachment detail.jpgbucket trimmer.jpg

It turns out that the trimmer shaft will fit inside 1 1/4 square tube. It would be easy to drill a flat piece of stock to correspond to the collar that holds the attachment shaft on the power head shaft and then weld it in place on the square tube to hold the trimmer and attachment in place. Then weld or bolt the square tube to the bucket. The attachment would stick out about 30" from the side. Don't know if that would cause clearance issues with the house on the minix? Also, not sure if I'd mount it to stick out frontwards from the boom or sideways?

View attachment 853855View attachment 853854
HAHA!! Look at you! Well you got a good start. :) I was thinking I would have it straight, inline with stick, because I would travel down the trails with the house swung 90*. You may be cutting brush before dark! What if the tube was attached in a way that allowed it to slide in or out, sort of an adjustable feature? Not sure if I can explain it right.