What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #241  
Impressive. I dont know if I can get used to going up and down hills that steep!!
My parcel is 19 mountain acres in the coastal rainforest, and I use a mile of trails to access my water tank and septic drainfield, plus cut down dead trees, and clear ladder fuels to reduce wildfire risk. Plus clear fallen trees along my creek.

Can't walk most of them right now, due to acute achilles tendonitis, but I can get to most of them with my 4x4 ATV. Just did a big deep-in-the-forest burn pile yesterday.

I shoulda got he mini-X 10-15y ago.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #242  

Also, when driving up a really steep hill or ramp, the boom downhill, acting as a outrigger, puts most of the traction on the downhill ends of the tracks. So, extending the boom and dipper way out uphill is the only way to get up. Boom-downhill is only for driving downhill, sliding the outrigger.

With the boom facing down ramp you can push the bucket against the ground and use it to raise up the machine and scoot along on the bucket for a few feet. Traction than is no issue.

Climbing or descending a steep slope with one of these little machines is going to be dangerous due to lack of wheel brakes that so many have.

Biggest issue for operation without tip over is for the operator to have a finely tuned sense of balance. If it feels dangerous than stop, back away, stop lifting/pulling, rethink what it is you are attempting.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #243  
I've seen several YT videos where the operator is rocking the machine. With a relatively short wheelbase and narrow width, no ROPS, and no seatbelt, that doesn't seem safe to me.

Ordinarily, I'd prefer a diesel engine. Some of these come with the Kubota 722 diesel. I"m wondering if the rest of the machine will last as long as the Kubota diesel engine or whether the best value is to buy one of the L12s with the Briggs?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
I've seen several YT videos where the operator is rocking the machine. With a relatively short wheelbase and narrow width, no ROPS, and no seatbelt, that doesn't seem safe to me.

Ordinarily, I'd prefer a diesel engine. Some of these come with the Kubota 722 diesel. I"m wondering if the rest of the machine will last as long as the Kubota diesel engine or whether the best value is to buy one of the L12s with the Briggs?
I see 2 issues with the Kubota engine. Price.. adding $3000 to the 1ton model takes the fun out of owning it for me.. Space.. These are compact machines and that is usually an advantage, however, working on them is usually difficult as the engine bay is rather small and mostly enclosed. The Kubota will need a lot more room with radiator, hoses, fan, fuel system, filters etc. Another issue is having a Kubota engine laying around long after the rest of the machine is recycled in Chinas next round of cheap machinery.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #245  
best value (my opinion) is the L-12 after using mine quite a bit and looking the other models over.

best value (my opinion) is the L-12 after using mine quite a bit and looking the other models over.
I agree.. My L12 has been great, other than the hyd pick-up tube issue. $3000 more for a Kubota engine and I would be expecting a lot more out of the machine. I think the Briggs powers the machine almost perfectly. A Chevette will never be a Cadillac, no matter what engine you put in it.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #247  
Any thoughts on the life expectancy of an L12 assuming a filter is added to the hydraulic system?

I own a 1997 Terramite with something like 2600 hours. Replaced one gas engine with another. Replaced hoses here and there. Repacked seals here and there. Rebuilt the hydraulic steering. But basically, it has just been normal maintenace.

Just curious how much life you guys are expecting from your machines?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #248  
I see 2 issues with the Kubota engine. Price.. adding $3000 to the 1ton model takes the fun out of owning it for me.. ...
It is rather hard to beat the price of these little gas powered diggers. Especially now at the $4K-$6K cost. For me I feel I have near already got my money's worth with less than 20 hours of operation. The diesel engine would outlast the gas but you would need the whole machine to last longer as well.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #249  

:) When I bought my Typhon I really was not expecting much. It has exceeded my expectations. If it lasts a few years of my infrequent light use I will be satisfied. I would never expect it to be in the same league as a Terramite.

Any thoughts on the life expectancy of an L12 assuming a filter is added to the hydraulic system?

I own a 1997 Terramite with something like 2600 hours. Replaced one gas engine with another. Replaced hoses here and there. Repacked seals here and there. Rebuilt the hydraulic steering. But basically, it has just been normal maintenace.

I expect minimum of 1000 hrs. May need to replace the Briggs before that, I don't think the quality of new small engines is anything like it was 30 years ago. I have older equipment with Briggs, Kohler, Kawaski engines that have over 1000 hrs with no problems. The pump will probably fail before engine, I guess 300 hrs on pump max. Wheel motors 300 hrs. No idea on the life of rubber tracks, maybe 250 hrs? It would be interesting to know who has the most hours on a 1-ton gas. Probably dfkrug at around 150hrs?