What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
No way you are going to run an existing hyd-powered rotary mower on these small machines. They do not have the flow rate or power. You could design a mower that was really small that could work, but I have not heard of that being done. Although our little 420cc engines can put out 13-16hp at 3600RPM, you will lose nearly half that output driving a gear pump and motor. And don't forget the heat that would generate.

No to rain on anyone's parade. I would like to see someone build a small dipper-mounted mower.
I think I will Attempt to make a ripper and if successful, maybe try to make a mower as it would be amazing on the trails I maintain. Of course I will need guidance from the guys on here.. I have really enjoyed the progress I have made as well as following others progress with the Baby-X.

Today was too wet to get the baby-x out, so I went to Rural King and bought a few things for the next mods. no 1/4" flat steel, so I bought 3/16x3"x48". I want to take off the side cutters and weld on a strip of steel as a reinforcement. then I am going to weld a strip across the bucket and attach the d-ring and or chain hook. I also bought the hyd filter base and looked at the adaptors. The only metric adaptors I found are 20231229_130246.jpg DIN to JIC. Maybe I will need 2 adapters on each side of the base. DIN to JIC then JIC to 3/4" FNPT..I also looked at something maybe I could use to make a ripper.20231229_102114.jpg20231229_102015.jpg20231229_100712.jpg

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #73  
No way you are going to run an existing hyd-powered rotary mower on these small machines. They do not have the flow rate or power. You could design a mower that was really small that could work, but I have not heard of that being done. Although our little 420cc engines can put out 13-16hp at 3600RPM, you will lose nearly half that output driving a gear pump and motor. And don't forget the heat that would generate.

No to rain on anyone's parade. I would like to see someone build a small dipper-mounted mower.
So you would suggest that powering a 30" gravely sized brush cutter deck isn't going to happen with an L12?

Is there another affordable mini-ex that would be larger that might work for this?

Is there another affordable mini-ex that would be larger that might work for this?
I think the issue is to get more power you need a machine with a Kubota engine that is going to increase the price by at least 3000. I will do more research and see what I can find.

Last edited:
So you would suggest that powering a 30" gravely sized brush cutter deck isn't going to happen with an L12?

on the AGT website the smallest brushcutter is 54" and recommended for 3-8 ton excavators. they are sold out at $2500. you are looking at a huge jump in price to get in the 3-4 ton range. maybe $25000. That takes all the fun out of it for me. I will keep thinking about making a brushcutter for my machine but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #76  

Well. everything is affordable to someone.

You have a lot of criteria to consider: hydraulic power for a continuous-duty implement is a big deal that would usually need a hydraulic system with 2 or more pumps. Otherwise, your mower stops when you turn the house, drive, or lower the boom. Not really practical. Low-duty hyd implements can work fine on one-pump systems. On my tractor, I have used hydraulic chainsaws, concrete mixer, and augers.

I think you could design a mower with those limitations, but it would prob be a single blade of only 12-20 inches. You would REALLY need hyd oil cooling as well.

I see those 3-4T Chinese minis selling for $15K or less, new at auction. They run 3-cyl diesels and dual or triple pumps.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #77  
How are these things at lifting and moving trees or firewood? I use my tractor backhoe to lift up wood so I can cut it and move it around. I have a little Massey 1725mb. I’m gonna upgrade to a 2850e but can’t decide if the woods bh75 is worth the huge dollars or if the little mini ex is a viable option.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #78  
How are these things at lifting and moving trees or firewood? I use my tractor backhoe to lift up wood so I can cut it and move it around. I have a little Massey 1725mb. I’m gonna upgrade to a 2850e but can’t decide if the woods bh75 is worth the huge dollars or if the little mini ex is a viable option.
The 1-1.5T minis lift an enormous amount because they use an under-boom cylinder, rather than an over-boom cylinder. You can get yourself in trouble with how much they can lift. There are Utube vids showing in excess of 750#.

BTW, I also have a 7.5-ft backhoe attachment on my tractor. I can lift only a small fraction of the amount my XN08 will lift. These hoe attachments have over-boom cylinders.

If you already have a tractor, get a cheap mini if you are handy. It will (initially) cost less than a backhoe attachment.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #79  
The 1-1.5T minis lift an enormous amount because they use an under-boom cylinder, rather than an over-boom cylinder. You can get yourself in trouble with how much they can lift. There are Utube vids showing in excess of 750#.

BTW, I also have a 7.5-ft backhoe attachment on my tractor. I can lift only a small fraction of the amount my XN08 will lift. These hoe attachments have over-boom cylinders.

If you already have a tractor, get a cheap mini if you are handy. It will (initially) cost less than a backhoe attachment.
Im gonna get a bigger tractor but not sure if I should get the woods bh75 or a Chinese baby ex. Your backhoe can’t out lift the Chinese ex?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #80  
Im gonna get a bigger tractor but not sure if I should get the woods bh75 or a Chinese baby ex. Your backhoe can’t out lift the Chinese ex?
Not even close. Not to mention that at max lift capacity, your tractor's hoe needs to be stationary, with outriggers down. And have a subframe. My hoe is a ruggedized copy of a Woods 7500.

The minis are very tippy, and lifting max weight is best done on flat ground with blade in front and down.