What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields?

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
My feed requirements are getting to the point where maybe making some hay makes enough sense it's worth looking at the costs. Looking around at land near me in west GA there's a lot of idle fields that if I got on them soon I could brushhog and probably have okay cow hay next season, I haven't seen one that I can say is hay but lots of old peanut or other crop fields. It's 90% hobby and just something I'd like to learn how to do so not worried about making money as much as I'm interested in making something to feed the cows and learning how to make hay while the sun shines:laughing:

So from the pros. What are general terms for leases? Insurance? Accessing/storing equipment on leased land? Reasonable cost per acre or yield if I'm taking it from zero to hay? What kind of investment costs/acre do I need to be thinking about (soil testing/fertilizing/conditioning/seeding/?)?

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #2  
I've never raise hay but I do rent my farm to a farmer for row crop. It averages around $35 per acre. There are no insurance requirements involved but depending on your situation it may not be a bad idea.

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #3  
Around here share agreements are typically 1/3 for the land owner, 2/3 to the guy making hay. My neighbor hays 15 acres of mine, two cutting per year, rent free, he's a good neighbor. He pays for any fertilizer or weed killer. He also does some brush hogging for me, no charge.

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #4  
My feed requirements are getting to the point where maybe making some hay makes enough sense it's worth looking at the costs. Looking around at land near me in west GA there's a lot of idle fields that if I got on them soon I could brushhog and probably have okay cow hay next season, I haven't seen one that I can say is hay but lots of old peanut or other crop fields. It's 90% hobby and just something I'd like to learn how to do so not worried about making money as much as I'm interested in making something to feed the cows and learning how to make hay while the sun shines:laughing:

So from the pros. What are general terms for leases? Insurance? Accessing/storing equipment on leased land? Reasonable cost per acre or yield if I'm taking it from zero to hay? What kind of investment costs/acre do I need to be thinking about (soil testing/fertilizing/conditioning/seeding/?)?

==========================================================================================================

You have to define what a hobby is to you and how much you can or are willing to pay for it.

If cows wont eat what you bush hogged it they will not eat it and they will starve themselves or plan on a mass escape attempt............................... Your neighbors can tell you what you need to know.

A reasonable expense is what "you" can afford to part with.

It all depends on how many hay burners you have/how often you go to market, and what your feeding schedule is as far as tonnage used.
Your talking a lot of money from start to finish if you intend on plowing, discing, seeding with a sure stand grass seeder, alfalfa hay seed, gypsum, lime and 20-20-20 fertilizer. You have to be able cut, crimp, windrow with a haybine and tractor and then be able to bale the same day or next day if the weather is good.

If there is idle land chances are its all CSA ground too.

Its best that you wander over to the local cooperative extension office and the FHA office and get lots literature before you leap into this as even good small farm machinery
is going to run you 30K at a minimum without seed or fertilizer and that's not even with a small compact tractor to plow and disc harrow, run the grass seed drill, haybine crimper, rake and baler and a bale wrapper.

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #5  
I've never raise hay but I do rent my farm to a farmer for row crop. It averages around $35 per acre. There are no insurance requirements involved but depending on your situation it may not be a bad idea.

You cash rent your land to a row crop farmer for $35 per acre? Wow!!!!! Junk land here will bring $125. Good land will bring $200.

Oh, maybe I read your post wrong..... You rent hay fields to a row crop farmer for $35?

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields?
==========================================================================================================

You have to define what a hobby is to you and how much you can or are willing to pay for it.

If cows wont eat what you bush hogged it they will not eat it and they will starve themselves or plan on a mass escape attempt............................... Your neighbors can tell you what you need to know.

A reasonable expense is what "you" can afford to part with.

It all depends on how many hay burners you have/how often you go to market, and what your feeding schedule is as far as tonnage used.
Your talking a lot of money from start to finish if you intend on plowing, discing, seeding with a sure stand grass seeder, alfalfa hay seed, gypsum, lime and 20-20-20 fertilizer. You have to be able cut, crimp, windrow with a haybine and tractor and then be able to bale the same day or next day if the weather is good.

If there is idle land chances are its all CSA ground too.

Its best that you wander over to the local cooperative extension office and the FHA office and get lots literature before you leap into this as even good small farm machinery
is going to run you 30K at a minimum without seed or fertilizer and that's not even with a small compact tractor to plow and disc harrow, run the grass seed drill, haybine crimper, rake and baler and a bale wrapper.

Maybe you missed the part about 90% hobby. Right now the extent of what I do with my animals seems to be keeping the local feed store in business. I'm okay with that.

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #7  
Maybe you missed the part about 90% hobby. Right now the extent of what I do with my animals seems to be keeping the local feed store in business. I'm okay with that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I commented on your inquiry based on your first paragraph.

As long as you have a good relationship with your feed supplier that is one less thing you have to worry about.

It may be worth your time to purchase a subscription to Hay and Forage Grower to see what is out there for feeds in the marketplace.

/ What are the general terms and costs for leasing fields? #8  
Sea2summit,
How far are you from Clyattville, Ga? (it is SW of Valdosta). We have property there that is idle, and might consider some sort of agreement to make hay on it. Might not be enough property, as it is only 24 acres.
David from jax

Sea2summit,
How far are you from Clyattville, Ga? (it is SW of Valdosta). We have property there that is idle, and might consider some sort of agreement to make hay on it. Might not be enough property, as it is only 24 acres.
David from jax

I’m quite a ways, near Columbus. I’m figuring I’m looking for 15-30 acres with the time I think I can give the project though so that would have been about perfect. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I commented on your inquiry based on your first paragraph.

As long as you have a good relationship with your feed supplier that is one less thing you have to worry about.

It may be worth your time to purchase a subscription to Hay and Forage Grower to see what is out there for feeds in the marketplace.

Thanks, website looks interesting I’ll dig into it further tonight.