What are my options to keep a small section of exposed water line from freezing?

/ What are my options to keep a small section of exposed water line from freezing? #31  
They also make excellent heat tapes that can be run inside the water line providing that both ends are accessible and have no close 90s. These can be ordered with thermostats and or timers and leak-proof fittings.
Yep! that's the way to go.

I have installed my fair share of them and the best is the internal self regulating kind.

Every 12 inches is like a short heat section and only the sections that are in 'freeze' zone gets heat so they are electrically economical to use.

I.E., no current draw if above freezing so U can actually leave it live year round.
Usually available in either 110 or 220 VAC.
Often 2 wattage choices, the lower will prevent freezing* but the higher wattage will actually thaw a line that did freeze, like during a prolonged power outage.

And YES a G.F.I. circuit protection device should be used and is required to meet code.

*have heard that U can apply 220 on a 110 traced line to thaw a frozen line. (I never tried since I always opted for the higher watt option)

Addendum:
If U are not in a hurry, I recently found super good pricing on some Asian web sites for the raw tracing material. (To be 'code complaint' you need the versions that have shielding incorporated.)

Last edited:
   / What are my options to keep a small section of exposed water line from freezing?
Any links to the recommended in line heaters?

/ What are my options to keep a small section of exposed water line from freezing? #33  
I think it was a little over a year ago... but the plumber installed a product by HeatLine on a project we were on. I know the customer has been happy with it (we still do work for them); & it didn't require a GFI Out let because they install an inline one on the system.

HeatLine

/ What are my options to keep a small section of exposed water line from freezing? #34  
Yep! that's the way to go.

I have installed my fair share of them and the best is the internal self regulating kind.

Every 12 inches is like a short heat section and only the sections that are in 'freeze' zone gets heat so they are electrically economical to use.

I.E., no current draw if above freezing so U can actually leave it live year round.
Usually available in either 110 or 220 VAC.
Often 2 wattage choices, the lower will prevent freezing* but the higher wattage will actually thaw a line that did freeze, like during a prolonged power outage.

And YES a G.F.I. circuit protection device should be used and is required to meet code.

*have heard that U can apply 220 on a 110 traced line to thaw a frozen line. (I never tried since I always opted for the higher watt option)

Addendum:
If U are not in a hurry, I recently found super good pricing on some Asian web sites for the raw tracing material. (To be 'code complaint' you need the versions that have shielding incorporated.)
i used self regulating heat tape on my patio cover and associated gutters and downspout due to icing issues and leaking a few years ago. stuff is amazing. i can clamp an ampmeter on the circuit and verify that after ice is melted the power use drops to next to nothing.