What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer?

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #11  
At what point would you call it 'over kill' ?

To be safe hauling your 5K load you should use 4 grade 70 3/8" chains and binders. Two in front, two in back.
Legally for loads under 10K you only are required to use one in front and one in back. When securing a load like this on a trailer I believe more is better and safer.

Willl, you didn't copy my entire quote. I said only 2 tie downs are required by the law but to be safe he should use 4. This is what I mean by more is better.
I wouldn't call 4 tie downs overkill. If you want to tie down a 5K load on your trailer with the minimum tie downs required you can do so. I choose to avoid doing things that way.

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer?
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

So heres my new plan:

Order two of these Grade 70, 3/8ths in. x 16 ft. chain.

Transport Chain Grade 70 3/8''X16' Short Link [TC381670] - $32.99 : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

Four more of these Grade 70, 3/8ths in. hooks.

3/8 Clevis Grab Hook - Grade 70 [CGH3870] - $2.99 : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

And this pack of 3/8ths in. ratchet binders (only need 4, but it includes 5).

Ratchet Chain Binder 5/16'' x 3/8'' (5 Pack) $19.24/each [(5) CB150] - $96.20 : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

========================

Then, I will cut each chain in half, leaving me with four 8-foot pieces of chain. Now, I will take the extra hooks I bought and install them on each chain, so I've got four chains with eight hooks. Then I can secure each corner of the Bobcat with one 8 ft. chain, and have a ratchet binder on each corner. Sound good?

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #13  
Sounds good to me. Also to answer the question about private individuals having to follow federal rules. They do not but they are a real good guideline for how to secure a load. Also in the event of a accident it would be nice to be able to say that everything was secured to federal regulations. Might help if there are injuries and lawyers get involved. Just my two cents worth;)

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #14  

The link you give is for 5/16 rachet binders, not 3/8.

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer?
Thanks for catching that :).

Also to answer the question about private individuals having to follow federal rules.

I will need to follow federal regulations because the Bobcat will be used for my business. Theres a lot of other stuff I'll have to worry about too... commercial plates, insurance, etc...

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #16  
Check into your state regualtions as well. They may be even more restrictive than the Federal rules.

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #17  
I think you will be covered well in the securing it to the trailer dept. Always the way it works though, you have to spend a ton of $$$$$ to do it right.

Chris

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #18  
Remember, if someone hits you head on and the tractor or skidloader becomes a projectile. YOU are liable because it was not secure.

It may never happen, but do you really want to test your insurance limits??

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #19  
My friends think I went over board because I use 4ea. 4" ratchet binders from "D" rings bolted to my tractor. I feel they are as secure as chains only because they go point to point with no web contact and are or course 4" not the usual 2". In actuality they are about the same rating as 5/16" chains. The 4 binders cost me 200.00. Probably about the same as chain just a little more convenient to use.

/ What am I going to need to secure my Bobcat to my trailer? #20  

The link you give is for 5/16 rachet binders, not 3/8.

That link is confusing- it states the binders are for 5/16 x 3/8, whatever that means. That being said all my binders are marked for 5/16 or 3/8 chain...apparently either size is acceptable to use with them.

Added in edit- looked around the net a little and apparently it is common for binders to handle both 5/16 and 3/8 in the same unit. There are also 3/8 and 1/2 combined units etc...