What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade?

/ What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade? #1  

TooCents

Tractor
UW53 Toolcat, ASV VT-70 Track Skiddy, Kubota BX2365
8' hydraulic angle snow blade on a reversible Antonio Carraro TTR4400HSTII works great with floating 3 pt arms. Selling the tractor and now looking to use this setup on front of UW53 Toolcat. Toolcat has floating arms similar to a FEL but concern is the weight on the plow when gravel roads are NOT frozen. Snow blade on the tractor 3pt arms is very light on the shoes and works great in these conditions. While these arms are not huge, the weight and the high pivot point are less desirable than floating at the bucket pivot.

I know that I could switch to a floating plow design, like a truck mount, but I have this plow and it isn't a floating design. Seems like someone would have done this?
Wondering if anyone knows (has experience with) float function possibly added to the bucket hydraulic circuit? I envision a solenoid valve that would simply "open the circuit?" and allow the bucket only (or snow plow) to float. I have an advanced hydraulic company in my hometown that can help with parts but I wonder if anyone has tried this?

/ What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade? #2  
Have not tried it but yes you can add float to the tilt cylinders via solenoid valves. Will require running a tank line to those valves to operate correctly.

/ What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade?
Ok, Good to know. Also wondering if anyone has experienced floating the bucket tilt function? I’ve never heard of it but seems like it would be similar to a floating plow design. Might have to post on snow plow thread.

/ What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade? #4  
If I understand correctly, your plow is set up for a regular 3 point hitch. Couldn't you just experiment the performance of a "truck type" hitch.
Do you have a ssqa to 3 point adapter for operation on the tool cats loader?

/ What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade?
Good point Rustyiron, but the ssqa plate was far cheaper to bolt on. I don’t have an adapter to 3 pt. I set the 3pt bracket that I took “off” next to the plow with skid steer quick attach plate that I bolted on.

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
   / What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade? #6  
At least you can put the plow on the rear 3pt if you had to. With my experience so far, using the float function for the loader arm would not work good. The reason being, as you mentioned, is the loader arm is at such a high angle it would just get pushed down right away. Most attachments for them already have a float mechanism built into it, I think for that reason. Now, if the TC already had a float position for the bucket curl, I think it would work much better. My plow for the front has float built into it so I don't know how your's will work. At least your plow is nice and short.

Last edited:
   / What about hydraulic float for front mounted snow blade? #8  
Think about how that plow works. It rides on the shoes and floats up and down be it on a truck mount or the 3pt arms, as the 3pt arms don't have power down. They float just like a truck mount.

It'll work the same way on the FEL arms.

You have trip springs, so if you hit something solid it should trip over it and reset.

About the only thing you'll have to watch is the angle of your dump/curl setting. Curled too far back and you'll drag the hitch. Curled too far forward and it may ride up over wet snow.

I've had a power angle plow with dump/curl and gauge wheels on my FEL arms for about 20 years. Works great.

If the plow tries to dig in and lift your FEL arms, your machine will try and ride up over the FEL arms. So back off and take it out of float and it'll push instead of climb.

Takes a bit to get used to, but the ability to stack snow up way higher than on a 3pt or with a pickup is well worth it.