Well Head a good Ground?

/ Well Head a good Ground? #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
I know this question has the chance to bring allot of feedback, and controversy but Ill try to make it as clear as I can I know there are allot of knowledgeable people on here who can answer it for me . Thanks
First ,this is in concern to a water pump placed in a well pit,Presently there is a number 12 wire feeding it. Only two wires white (neutral) and the black (hot).
There is also an outlet inside the pit .
Obviously this outlet is lacking the bare ground wire.I would like to replace the outlet with a new one, and a GCFI.
Not having the ground wire I was wondering, and think maybe a ground rod at the pump to bond onto?
Then considered the best ground rod is probably the casing there.
some considerations.
1. I don't plan to replace the wire with three or four conduc tor.
2.I will attach a wire to the well casing(metal)

I understand it would be better to make a new wire run but wonder :confused:if this way of grounding is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Al

/ Well Head a good Ground? #2  
I don't know the specific grounding question, but wonder what you want to use the outlet for, if it's just for the pump then I doubt it should have a gfi.

Certain things should not be on gfi for fear of nuisance tripping, a couple of things I've seen are washing machines and sump pumps on gfis, no big deal with the washing machine but could be a problem with a sump pump or a refrigerator having the circuit shut down.

I would think it should have a ground though, unless the casing acts as a ground?
At least the outlet box should be grounded, not sure if you can do that at the casing or a local rod, would think so but not sure.

JB.

/ Well Head a good Ground?
Thanks for the rapid responce. I should add the outlet is going to be for the heater to keep it from freezing.And its location possible a radio in the summer.
I'm assuming that any ground is better but also wondered if a GCFI would be workable in theory.
I agree with the sump and frig not being on a gcfi..

/ Well Head a good Ground? #4  
In theory there would be no better ground than a steel casing burried in the ground. The issue is, are two grounds allowed. Two separate grounds on one electrical system can raise issues of having electrical potential between them. This should not happen but if it does it could be dangerous if they are exposed. You can check that with a meter between the two grounds. Check for AC and DC potential.
Pump, bypass the GFCI. Outlet on GFCI. My opinion.
I work with electronics but I'm not an electrician.
Ask an electrician about the code and safety issues.

/ Well Head a good Ground? #5  
If your using it as an outdoor convience outlet then it definetly should be a GFCI.

How was it wired in conduit?, any type of direct buried cable would have a ground in it.

looks like just a underground 'romex' without the ground wire.Fairly standard around here for wells.

/ Well Head a good Ground? #7  
How deep is the casing?

I my area, they are required to be 75 feet, minimum. That is a very deep ground, and would be a good one.

/ Well Head a good Ground? #8  
Ground rods are suppose to be driven a full 8' feet into the ground. The casing is a whole lot deeper than that so I'd drill and tap a hole to get a good bond with the casing. Definitely want GFCI outlet outside where anybody that could touch any equipment plugged into it could be standing on damp surface (dirt, concrete or otherwise).

Mike i tend to think I agree with your question I know its better than nothing I just wondered what others thought the casing depth is not know right now..lol but im sure its deep enough

/ Well Head a good Ground? #10  
Well Head a good Ground?

In reply to this statement you will find Lightning considers wells and downhole pumps excellent grounds. :D

From the electrical code standpoint I have no comment.:eek: