Well died tonight

/ Well died tonight #21  
As an aside, the well guys said I was extremely fortunate to get the 17yes and that most have a life of 7-8yrs. Pump was a Gould.

That estimate is way out of line. Mine is alos a Gould and is still doing great after 21 years. Had to have it pulled last year as galvanic corrosion had eaten a hole in the drop pipe just about the pump - nothing wrong with the pump.

Harry K

/ Well died tonight #22  
We made it 17yrs with the first pump.Our new 3/4hp pump cost $525 installed,well is 135ft.

/ Well died tonight #23  
most plumbers can replace a pump, don't have to just go to well drillers. Last time I had a problem it was the pressure switch. So far in 17 yrs I have had to pull my pump twice, wiring problems both times where the torque of the pump had caused the wiring to rub. Mine is 200' and I pull it myself with my wife helping.

/ Well died tonight #24  
Not sure how standard these are on install, but when I did my system years ago I put in a pressure switch that has a low pressure cutoff. If the system goes below a preset pressure it kills power to the pump. It needs to be manually reset to get the pump running and bring pressure back up. It can save the pump from burn out if the well runs dry due to a broken line or low water level.

Square D by Schneider Electric FSG2J24M4CP 40-60 PSI Pumptrol Water Pressure Switch with Low Pressure Cut-Off - Sump Pumps - Amazon.com

/ Well died tonight
The well guys made it out today :) Replaced the pump, also had them replace the wire as there was a few places that were questionable. The pump they pulled was manufactured in 1998; assuming it was put in service that year or 1999 that would make the pump about 15 or 16 years old. When I asked him how long a pump should last he said it is like any "appliance". Warranty on pump is five years, one year labor.

Cost was 677.76 including labor.

well receipt 1-3-14.jpg

/ Well died tonight #26  
Good to hear you got a decent price and your back in business with water:thumbsup:

/ Well died tonight #27  
7-8 years is way less than any of my well pumps have lasted. Have 5 properties to keep track of (family, business etc) and all have lasted way longer than that. In fact since 1985 I have only replaced one. I am sure I just jinxed myself. The well in the house I live in has developed an issue with the pressure tank. About every 6-12 months for the last couple years I have blown some water out and repressurized the tank. I know I need to replace it but so far this has just been simpler. I do realize that that is causing undo starts on the pump. Sure I will pay for that eventually.
Your price was completely reasonable.

/ Well died tonight #28  
The well guys made it out today :) Replaced the pump, also had them replace the wire as there was a few places that were questionable. The pump they pulled was manufactured in 1998; assuming it was put in service that year or 1999 that would make the pump about 15 or 16 years old. When I asked him how long a pump should last he said it is like any "appliance". Warranty on pump is five years, one year labor.

Cost was 677.76 including labor.

Glad you got it fixed, and for reasonable charge. Just curious, how do they handle all that length of pipe? Or do they cut and resplice?

/ Well died tonight #29  
Coincidentally, we just completely rehabbed our 200'+ well and supply system. The pump was the original for that well- a 1965 Berkeley, 1 hp. It was still operating without issue. However, we discovered as they pulled the pump up that the triple wire supply was bare in numerous places due to corrosion and wear. If it had been the now-required 4-wire line with ground, it would have shorted years ago. The steel pipe was also pretty bad in places. It was nice to see modern plastic pipe with stainless couplings going back down the hole. It cost a bit over $3500 for the pump, pipe, wiring, new well head, pressure tank and components, wiring and labor. They used a dandy one-ton truck with boom, and, just like on an oil rig, pulled up the whole line to the next coupling, clamped just below it, spun off the coupling and set that section aside. Two guys made quick work of it all. They said ours was not the first pump they'd seen that lasted that long, but I'm guessing that they don't make 'em like they used to.... We'll see!

/ Well died tonight #30  
Not to deviate from OP original, but I have seen several posts mention a 4-wire pump being required. Whose requirement is this? City? State? All pumps manufactured in approximately the past 20 years have been manufactured with ground wires per NEC. We sell, on average, 175-200 pumps per year through my hardware store and all I stock are the 3 wire pumps that do not require control boxes. My 22 years as a licensed well contractor and installer has convinced me that we experience fewer problems with these than 4wire units. 4 wire units have their advantages in well 300'+ but, personally speaking, give me a 3 wire any day.