Well died tonight

/ Well died tonight #11  
my first pump lasted more then 20 years and would still be going strong i think were it not for lightning.

/ Well died tonight #12  
I had to replace mine after 25 yrs,was around 700.00 for 3/4 hp.

/ Well died tonight #13  
I am curious, for the gents that posted that your well pumps/motors lasted 20+ years.. did you check your system occasionally, ie pressure tank, leaks, etc? I know pump life is rated in cycles, not in hours, so it seems to me, your systems are correctly designed and installed. I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything I can, to make sure mine last a long time too.. Thanks

/ Well died tonight #14  
Yep, mine died about a month ago. 17 yrs old. Lots of things can cause the pump to not work, capacitor, pressure switch, I've replaced both due to failure over the years.

Mine cost about $4k to replace.... 370', had to replace my 3 wire with 4 to bring it up to code, also upgraded from 1 3/4 to 2hp and replaced the PVC couplers with galvanized.

/ Well died tonight #15  
As an aside, the well guys said I was extremely fortunate to get the 17yes and that most have a life of 7-8yrs. Pump was a Gould.

/ Well died tonight #16  
Turn the breaker off and back on. Check the voltage if you have a meter.

Check the pressure switch also, some have a lever to turn it off, if so cycle it off and on, the contacts may be going bad.

/ Well died tonight #17  
We have lived here for 42 years; we are on our 3rd pump and our third tank. In addition, I have had to pull the pump and replace the pipe from the pump once. The last pump I had replaced about 5 years ago cost me about $750. Replaced the pressure tank about a month ago; about $600. Our first tank did not have a bladder, was fairly large, and lasted about 3 years. The last two are much smaller and have air bladders. The last one was full of sediment, the result, I believe, of the rash of small earthquakes we have been having the last 2 or 3 years.

/ Well died tonight #18  
I had my pump pulled and replaced a couple years ago now (2011 fall) that cost somewhere around 1200.00 with it set at 56feet. It (well) was bailed also at that point which added to the cost 400.00 to clean out the bottom of the well of sand/silt... I thought it was somewhat expensive at the time, pump went bad at that summer was real dry in area. I had my pole barn concrete poured by Amish crew. They brought one of the sons (9 years old) that used hose to wash up some of the tools as soon as someone sat one down he grabbed it and washed it off. What I didn;t know was he flipped the hose lever to hold it on, well went down and pump started sucking air. I walked by some 20 min later and heard the well pump sucking air. shut off the CB but too late pump impeller ended up melting and motor stuck.

Mark

/ Well died tonight #19  
Hopefully by now the OP has had time to check each component in his well system and determine where the problem is. I dread the possibility of having to replace the well pump, but there are lots of other reasons that could cause no water being available. Hopefully his was something much easier to fix and we'll hear soon that all is well (sorry, couldn't resist).

My well feeds a 2500 gallon holding tank that is plumbed to a jet pump and pressure tank. Last year I lost water pressure and traced it to a clog in the small pipe that supports the pressure switch. I found that out when I removed the pressure switch to replace it with another, and flakes of rust came out of the bottom of the switch. At that point I removed the short length of small galvanized pipe and cleaned it and the pressure switch before reinstalling both. Everything's been working fine ever since, and I have a spare pressure switch on the shelf just in case.

/ Well died tonight
Just got in from checking the well. Disconnected all the leads and put an ohm meter from the green (ground) to each of the hot leads. It did show a short on one of the leads. I got a call into three of the local well drillers waiting for them to call me back.

I did get a hold of a well driller a little further out and he said the cost would most likely run from $700 to $1,000. Although not cheap better than some of the prices some of you guys have paid.

I will update once I hear back from a local driller.